Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Charity Shop Binos

Alfian

Thos Greenkat look superb!! ?

Have to say, I've had several sets from charity shops but most from carboot sales and a few off fleabay!!

These Tecnar 12x50 were my latest find around two weeks ago at a local charity shop for £10, Alas they came with no lens caps and neither of the straps were present!, The lenses are crystal clear though with no fogging or mould and perfect collimation, Also, I don't think this case is what originally came with the binocular as it's a couple of inches taller and they just seems lost in the case even though they are quite large bins!

TZZt3eT.jpg

gqectVZ.jpg

I won these 7x50 Greenkats frpm Ebay back in 2016 for £9.99, Can't remember if there was postage to pay too but again, They're lovely glasses!

QpxfLL0.jpg

eStqxP2.jpg

I think £25 is the most i've paid for a bino' although my bestest bargain was an 8x42 Nikon Monarch for £20 at a bootsale from a nice old gent!!, A friend of mine was looking through them and told me to have a squint!!, He wasn't buying them so I did!

APCJOFU.jpg

I've picked up loads of really nice binoculars over the years but also bought some tat too that made me go dizzy trying to view through them!!

Just remembered I paid more than £25 for these Celestrons but I can't for the life of me remember how much I actually did pay! ?

ZpCaDQC.jpg

Happy new year all!!!

John :hello2:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks John, and a happy new year to you. You have a great ensemble of acquired binos there! The Greenkats look very similar to mine (apart from magnification) but I like the look of those Swift Tecnars, the prism housings look huge.

Optolyth 8x56 rubber armoured binos from a flea market.
Dirt cheap because all of the lubrication grease had dried hard.
Never sure which solvent would work without causing damage.
Though I do remember cycle oil didn't work.
Never did manage to free them up as much as I'd like.
So they never see daylight. :crybaby2:

Just checked: £650-750+ on fleaBay! ?

P1360018 rsz optolyth 8x56.JPG

Hmm, difficult to recommend a particular solvent as they all tend to migrate to areas that you would prefer not. Roof prism designs are more vulnerable in this context. If they can be focused and the IPD separation adjusted, albeit with difficulty, then for personal use this could be a one off exercise for astro use unless the binocular has additional issues.   ?

Thanks, Peter.

The focusing wheels are very stiff indeed.

I dismantled the entire hinge several times but it always unwinds itself.

Besides, as a fully authenticated Twirly the 7mm exit pupil is a bit <cough> pointless. :blush:

Archived