Software needed to start

Matzi

Hi all

So I just got my first Scope, and setup.

Now I need to know which softwares I need more than those I already downloaded.

So far I got:

ASCOM

EQMOD

PHD2

SGP

I'm not sure how to use the programs yet, as I'm completely new to this. Also got the EQDir cable for the EQmod.

My plan is not to use star alignment, but SGP and platesolve.

Thanks in advance

I image using my scope, and one of the most critical parts is getting the polar alignment as good as possible - the better your alignment, the less your guider will have to work, and the better the images will come out in the end.

To your list of software, there is two things that I would add.

1. ANSVR - https://adgsoftware.com/ansvr/   It's astronmetry.net plate solver for windows.

This can be used to in SGPro to add a second plate solver to the system, allowing blind solves to happen.

2. SharpCap Pro     for the polar alignment feature.

This will help you to get the polar alignment really good, and it looks simple to use - you do it before turning on the mount.

Here's a demo

And finally, you'd be well advised to have some kind of planitarium program.   I personally prefer to use SkySafari on my iPad and connect to SGPro on the laptop.

36 minutes ago, cjdawson said:

I image using my scope, and one of the most critical parts is getting the polar alignment as good as possible - the better your alignment, the less your guider will have to work, and the better the images will come out in the end.

To your list of software, there is two things that I would add.

1. ANSVR - https://adgsoftware.com/ansvr/   It's astronmetry.net plate solver for windows.

This can be used to in SGPro to add a second plate solver to the system, allowing blind solves to happen.

2. SharpCap Pro     for the polar alignment feature.

This will help you to get the polar alignment really good, and it looks simple to use - you do it before turning on the mount.

Here's a demo

And finally, you'd be well advised to have some kind of planitarium program.   I personally prefer to use SkySafari on my iPad and connect to SGPro on the laptop.

Thanks for the link to the windows version of a local astrometry.net - that will be really useful for some PhD-related stuff I'm working on!! :icon_salut:

Helen

So I use CDC, I'm polar aligned. My time, location is in CDC. But when slewing to M45, it slews in the opposite direction?

On 11/11/2018 at 17:32, Skipper Billy said:

This is very useful for setting up SGP- http://mainsequencesoftware.com/content/SGP-The First Week.pdf

There are also some useful documents about PHD2 and ASCON/EQDIR etc on my website - https://sites.google.com/view/astro-imaging/how-to

Have fun !

Thank you guys :)

So do you only sync to one target? And then it finds the rest by itself with pinpoint accuracy, depending on how well you aligned it, and your polar alignment?

Also I can't seem to control the mount, and slew it manually with my keyboard?

So I got the ASCOM/EQMOD working with my PS4 controller. I Polar aligned using Sharpcap, and reached excellent polar alignment. So I used CDC, and my controller, and manually found Capella to align with, and it worked perfectly with slewing around to different targets, and they were pretty much centeret all of them. But when I started using my stock Nikon D5300, to take some test shots at different targets in SGP, all pictures turned out as Monochrome? Also when I tried processing the single images I took in PS, the histogram was in the opposite direction, than it should be. All to the right?

Archived