Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7380 - The Wizard Nebula in Bi Color

I decided to put this image here, as it has very much been a learning experience..

My first image with a dedicated astro camera, first time using a mono cam with filters, and first time processing a narrowband image. (Excuses out of the way now! :D)

I have been pretty humbled by just how much more complex I found working with this camera (Hypercam 183m V2) compared to my trusty old DSLR. That being said I have enjoyed the challenge, and the opportunities that have arisen from it.

Had I chosen the more widely used ASI1600, I feel I would probably have had an easier time getting started, as so many examples of excellent images exist with this camera. But I found I had to experiment more, which has meant a lot of "wasted data" the last month and a half.

The data captured wasn't great, the Oiii data in particular was very weak and didn't contribute much.. Im going to try upping the gain for narrowband the next time and see how that goes. :)

Still I think the result has turned out ok, despite me not spending too much time processing it. Most of the time was spent experimenting with ways to combine, when to combine it, and how to avoid noise overload when combining. :)

Link to Astrobin for more details

Thanks for looking, and CC is always welcome!

NGC7380_Mix_NonLinear_Resampled.jpg

5 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

This is a very accomplished image for your first NB attempt. Well done. 

Thanks, it's growing on me I think..! :)

I think there is potential for more as I learn the nuances of this camera. In particular I'm hoping I can lure some more details out of galaxies when they come around, with the smaller pixels and better resolution. :)

3 hours ago, RolandKol said:

:) Extreeeemly nice! :) 

Very clean and detailed image!

I simply cannot imagine the results once you learn to handle the cam and post-processing :)

Thanks that's very nice of you.  :)

I have to say I am a little excited as well, there is definitely more to be had from better acquisition and better processing. I also find myself wondering what a faster (and better corrected) telescope could do. Exciting and expensive thoughts! :) 

Archived