Rosette in Ha

Rodd

Another "let the rig run unattended from midnight to 5:30" image.  After M42-Ha, I needed some "instant" gratification.  Most things were working well last night--the focus temperature compensation held all night, guiding was better than typical, the skies were clear--there was a 50% Moon fairly close to the target, but I have had worse.   All this and the FWHM values are still a bit high.   I discovered that a B-mask that fits the aperture of the scope is much better than an oversized one--there is a remarkable difference that I did not expect.   Like M42--this image is showing signs of overexposure, but not too bad.  It's interesting to note that there is a dark structure in front of the annulus.  I always thought that was a patch of darkness deep within the funnel--but no--it extends beyond the rim!

The one thing I regret is my framing is off--if I had pushed the Rosette a bit to the left I could have picked up teh entire curve of the extension to teh right.  It was tough to see the extension in 30 sec framing subs though.  While I love this target in the Hubbell Palette--I plan on completing it as an HaLRGB--with a natural palette and the structure that Ha provides.

52 5min subs with FSQ 106 and .6x reducer with ASI 1600 and 3um Astrodon Ha filter.

Ha-52e.thumb.jpg.49735383565bb8f9775eade0c450f49e.jpg

12 minutes ago, john2y said:

I love this one! Have you considered doing a mosaic with the Cone nebula? It look like you have quite wide field so it could fit on the next shot. 

Thanks, John.  The angle is off--I would need several more panels to get it framed right.  With the number of clear nights I have, mosaics are long commitments indeed--several months just for Ha.  Perhaps if I get a stretch of nice weather.  I typically have trouble getting enough data for 3 or 4 filters let alone 3 or 4 filters times 4!  One day I will have to decide to do a big multi panel mosaic and devote all my imaging time to that.  

Rodd

Archived