Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Storing a 127 Maksutov

Hi all, just a quick follow up question from a post I did a while back. Would it be ok to store my 127 Maksutov in a plastic air tight/watertight box with some silica gel packs in the outside shed.

many thanks in advance     

Barry

You'll want the Maksutov at least semi-outdoors anyway as it will be ready to observe with that much quicker.

If it was practical, I'd have mine stored in a screened box hanging from a tree, and to catch every breeze.

In short. You will be fine. But make sure its NOT on the floor. Buy or make a bench, then have it up on there. Same goes for your Newt. It will be fine, but not at floor level. I used to have my 200P ds on wood made u shaped claws screwed to the up rights. Also cover the primary end of the scope with an elasticated shower hat or something similar to stop spiders etc.

And one last important point. Make sure the shed can breath!.. you don't want internal condensation!!.

Best Rob

On 28/10/2018 at 18:32, Maddison said:

Hi all, just a quick follow up question from a post I did a while back. Would it be ok to store my 127 Maksutov in a plastic air tight/watertight box with some silica gel packs in the outside shed.

I’d like to add to the good advice already given -  before storing equipment, make certain it’s bone dry, and the silica gel is a good idea to make sure.

Ed.

Archived