Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount able to guide a long focal length scope

wornish

Just re visited the Tips thread and this is a re-post. of one I did there.  In the first post of the tips for guiding  it said that long focal length scope imaging  is beyond the capabilities of most non premium grade mounts. i.e. defined as  mounts costing less than £2000.

I am successfully guiding and capturing acceptable images using my existing kit Esprit 100ED ( 550mm)  on  AZ-EQ6GT so no problems there.

Now the but:   I "was" thinking about getting a longer focal length OTA say a Celestron HD 9.25 to capture the smaller DSO's

Will I be disappointed because my AZ-EQ6 isn't able to be guided to the accuracy needed.

What mounts are others using to support a long focal length scope for long exposure imaging ?

I used an Avalon Linear Fast reverse to successfully guide my C9.25..... it coped just fine. You can pick up second hand ones from time to time..... I sold mine for £2000 but clearly judging by prices now I undersold it ?

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

Avalon Linear Fast reverse

Wow about £4k new, thats some cost.

I am no expert on mounts for imaging but with a 18KG load for imaging on your GT mount and a 9.25 coming in a little over half that at 9.5kg I would have said it would cope just fine as long as you get your alignment spot on. 

Archived