Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barlows with t-ring adaptors

I'm looking to get a Barlow for my scope that I can attach to my camera. 

I'm very new to this and have only recently got my first scope. 

The telescope focuser is 1.25 and I want to make sure I'm getting the right Tring and Barlows. 

I'll be attaching it all to a Nikon d90 and a Konuspace 114mm Newtonian with a focal length of 500mm. 

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

I've got both 1.25" and 2" versions, and both work great for attaching cameras.  That way, you can look for a high quality 2x barlow independently of whether or not it has T-threads.

Same here, too.

Then if you want to add an eyepiece for 'afocal' imaging at a later date, then you will need an eyepiece projection unit (epu).

cropIMG_0386.jpg.c91450af54af870709286c710e543243.jpg

My epu, made by Beacon Hill Telescopes, (other brands are available elsewhere), is behind the eyepiece with the brass top and in front of my ETX105.

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

I've got both 1.25" and 2" versions, and both work great for attaching cameras.  That way, you can look for a high quality 2x barlow independently of whether or not it has T-threads.

This makes good sense. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

An alternative method would be t mount nosepiece adapter plus a barlow of your choice.

I don't want to order the wrong size Barlow or t-ring. 

If the focuser is 1.25 what size Barlow and Tring should I get ? 

I found these online - which I think would work but not sure... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescope-Camera-Adapter-1-25-Extension-Tube-T-Ring-for-Nikon-DSLR-Metal-DC619/152998742983?epid=7018601397&hash=item239f6f8bc7:g:8XQAAOSwUxhbMhSx:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orion-08711-Shorty-1-25-Inch-2x-Barlow-Lens-with-T42-thread-adapter-Buy-It-Now/382302963030?epid=2257554259&hash=item5903084556:g:cyMAAOSwVF1aJtc0:rk:2:pf:0

30 minutes ago, Leon-Fleet said:

The camera adapter is probably ok, the extension tube can be removed because it isn't required and the barlow you linked to is probably the same as the Celestron t-threaded barlow. Personally I would get the correct t-ring for your camera, the nosepiece in my previous post and a better quality barlow lens.

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The camera adapter is probably ok, the extension tube can be removed because it isn't required and the barlow you linked to is probably the same as the Celestron t-threaded barlow. Personally I would get the correct t-ring for your camera, the nosepiece in my previous post and a better quality barlow lens.

What's the "correct" tring? Do you mean brand specific or camera specific?? Like I said I don't want to get the wrong one! 

1 hour ago, Leon-Fleet said:

What's the "correct" tring? Do you mean brand specific or camera specific?? Like I said I don't want to get the wrong one! 

You pretty much got the right one, what Peter is saying is that you don't really need the extra tube between the T-ring and the nosepiece in this image. The item is still OK because it is removable and you just fit T ring directly to nosepiece instead. Most basic telescope accessories have an industry standard threads so will fit each other unless physically buy a different size or item. 

So to visualise this will be your image train - 
Nikon D90 >> Nikon T adaptor  >> T2 to1.25" Nosepiece >> 1.25" Barlow >> Telescope 

This is my standard setup for DSLR imaging

1571317147_D3200withTringandadaptor.jpg.df6645b13f25a064468c70d8ff83758a.jpg

The T ring fools the camera into thinking it is connected to a "dumb" lens with wide-open aperture. The adaptor can either be a simple nose piece, (as shown above), or incorporate an extra lens, (usually at the bottom of the silver sleeve), to form an integrated Barlow.

Geoff

14 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The camera adapter is probably ok, the extension tube can be removed because it isn't required and the barlow you linked to is probably the same as the Celestron t-threaded barlow. Personally I would get the correct t-ring for your camera, the nosepiece in

Thanks guys , I'll have a look on FLO for alternatives. Cheers for the visualizations too they helped makes sense of it all. 

8 hours ago, Leon-Fleet said:

I'll have a look on FLO for alternatives

It's more expensive but if you do buy the Barlow from FLO, you could do without the 1.25" nosepiece. The Barlow sold by FLO comes with T thread so it could fit directly on the T ring. eg like Geoff Listers's image

On 26/10/2018 at 18:33, Cornelius Varley said:

The camera adapter is probably ok, the extension tube can be removed because it isn't required and the barlow you linked to is probably the same as the Celestron t-threaded barlow. Personally I would get the correct t-ring for your camera, the nosepiece in

Thanks guys , I've ordered the Celestron t-threaded barlow from Flo. Cheers for the visualizations too they helped makes sense of it all. 

Archived