Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar X - 2018 OCT 16

CentaurZ

The Lunar X may be seen by telescopic observers in Europe and the Americas during Tuesday 2018 OCT 16 for an approximately four-hour period centered on 16:09 CDT (21:09 UT). This will be an evening event in Europe, and an afternoon event in the Americas. The X should appear as the Sun rises on the clustered rims of the craters Blanchinus, La Caille and Purbach, while a waxing Half Moon graces the sky.

This is something to check-off from your astronomical “to-do” list. Photos and descriptions of the Lunar X would be welcome additions to this thread.

TerminatorMo.JPG

Good job I’ve sen it a few times before, and photographed it too, as I am away for work from Tuesday until I return home on Thursday evening, so won’t be able to view it for this one alas. The Lunar Y appears at approximately the same time too just further north too. 

Hope for those who will get a chance to observe that skis are clear. Thanks for the heads up! :) 

Here's an image of the 'X' (and 'Y', or is that 'V'?) that I got entirely by accident...

• scope: C9.25 with x0.63 reducer
  • camera: QHY8L one-shot colour
  • exposure: single 2ms frame
  • date/time: Feb 21, 2018 @1815

I was really just testing the whole setup and the moon was a convenient target.  I had no idea at all that it was 'just the right time' !

20180221_Moon_C925_x063_QHY8L_1815_2ms.thumb.jpg.364c696a7b237fec03add095d5a50213.jpg

12 minutes ago, AKB said:

Here's an image of the 'X' (and 'Y', or is that 'V'?) that I got entirely by accident...

• scope: C9.25 with x0.63 reducer
  • camera: QHY8L one-shot colour
  • exposure: single 2ms frame
  • date/time: Feb 21, 2018 @1815

I was really just testing the whole setup and the moon was a convenient target.  I had no idea at all that it was 'just the right time' !

20180221_Moon_C925_x063_QHY8L_1815_2ms.thumb.jpg.364c696a7b237fec03add095d5a50213.jpg

Sorry, I meant V not Y. 

Despite some cloudy conditions, I managed to pick up X and V. Always a fun one to catch. My kids always look for X when they look at the Moon now. Despite seeing being a bit wobbly had a nice look at Mars too. Some nice detail visible. Split the double double for fun before coming in. Good way to pass half an hour!

Archived