Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Future astronomers

bish

Just been presenting astronomy to a class of year 5’s. I was completely bombarded with questions,  often not straightforward ones. Nice to see some real enthusiasm from a group of youngsters with a good grasp of the subject. 

Great to hear about the enthusiasm. My 6 year old Neice asks me lots of questions about space etc and I love to hear the ones that really stump me.

When I did Physics at GCSE and A-level they avoided space as much as they could (I don't know why) so I hope they put it into the curriculum as much as possible, it is a facinating subject :) 

How times change.

I remember asking my physics teacher what causes magnetism.  Magnetism boy.....is a phenomenon.

He also once explained the feebleness of gravity as a force thus:

"Puny as you lot are, each of you is quite capable of opposing the total gravitational force of this whole planet. So lift your heads up and pay attention!"

John

I've done a couple of outreach sessions at a local school to year 5 pupils. This was during the early summer and we took white light and h-alpha scopes with us to observe the Sun.

As you found Bish, the children seemed to have a good grasp of astronomy generally and solar science especially. Several were able to explain the main mechansims that fuel the Sun, which I was really impressed by. I hope the sparks of scientific enthusiasm that sessions like this generate kindle into a longer term interest :smiley:

1 hour ago, John said:

I've done a couple of outreach sessions at a local school to year 5 pupils. This was during the early summer and we took white light and h-alpha scopes with us to observe the Sun.

As you found Bish, the children seemed to have a good grasp of astronomy generally and solar science especially. Several were able to explain the main mechansims that fuel the Sun, which I was really impressed by. I hope the sparks of scientific enthusiasm that sessions like this generate kindle into a longer term interest :smiley:

I’ve been asked about galaxy mergers, will gravity eventually cease to exist and star colour in relation to temperature  - amongst many other things.  The majority asked multiple questions.  Life on other planets was a popular one today too. It makes it really worth while when they show such an intererest.

Archived