Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skywatcher 200p Goto synscan

Good evening all,

It's been a pleasure reading all your reviews from a novice point of view and worth while trawling through all the pages on this site. Now for your sound advice please. I have always been interested in astronomy and now in a position to buy a desent telescope. I have been looking at the skywatcher 200P goto synscan EQ5 which is at my top end of my budget of £600. Is this worth buying or is there something else out there that that would be better. All the reviews I have read say this is excellent value for money, good quality and what I should buy as a first timer. The scope I buy should also suit a 15 yr old who is mad on astronomy.

thanks in advnace of your response.

Jsmail

Hi

I am no expert, but I would also recommend this scope. I only image but this is just about the right size for moving around and setting up for one person, any bigger may be difficult. So far I have not had any problems and really enjoy using it. If you intend to image in the future, I would suggest getting the EQ6 mount if your budget stretches to it :)

The 'scope is fantastic, you'll get a lot of use out of it (weather permitting), but if you can stretch to the HEQ5 version it will be even better. The EQ6 will be overkill on that 'scope, but will allow you to upgrade the 'scope and use the same mount for almost anythiing you can think of. The HEQ5 will be fine with the 200mm 'scope plus guide 'scope plus camera etc.

If yo can't stretch the budget, then the EQ5 version would be good as well.

Have you considered the non-goto (upgradeable later) HEQ5 version as an option?

Kaptain Klevtsov

Fantastic 'scope but this mount will be right on the edge of its operational envelope - I really would recommend pushing for the HEQ5 which is a perfect match. The mount is in some ways more important than the optics as no matter how good the optics are, if the mount wobbles then the view will suffer accordingly!

Good evening all,

It's been a pleasure reading all your reviews from a novice point of view and worth while trawling through all the pages on this site. Now for your sound advice please. I have always been interested in astronomy and now in a position to buy a desent telescope. I have been looking at the skywatcher 200P goto synscan EQ5 which is at my top end of my budget of £600. Is this worth buying or is there something else out there that that would be better. All the reviews I have read say this is excellent value for money, good quality and what I should buy as a first timer. The scope I buy should also suit a 15 yr old who is mad on astronomy.

thanks in advnace of your response.

Jsmail

Guys, thanks so much for your advise. It sounds like I am good to go with skywatcher but Unfortunately my budget wont stretch beyond £600. would you therefore recommend the 150p with HEQ5 goto as a better option or 200p without goto. I can only dream of taking the photo's some of you have posted on your www's.

Thanks again.

Jsmail

I'd put aperture at the top and get the 200P without GoTo. You'll learn more and see more doing it that way and you can always upgrade to GoTo later.

Thats assuming you can transport the 200 easy enough and that your sure a Newtonian is what you want.

The HEQ5 will be fine with the 200mm 'scope plus guide 'scope plus camera etc.

I've stated earlier on this forum that the HEQ5 cannot carry the 200mm scope well enough for imaging. I have now learned that the combination is very capable. You should invest in another counter weight or an extension rod for the counter weights.

Even unbalanced in RA the HEQ5 Pro drags the 200m scope around and tracks like a charm for 3-5 minutes guided. (I havn't tried longer exposures)

The 200m isn't that heavy but its large. It also flexes a bit, but that is something that is quite common with the newtonian design.

Here are some of my SW 200 Explroer & HEQ5 Pro images. They are taken with a modifed second hand cheap Canon 10D, £100 guide scope and a £60-50 Guideing interface from ShoeString astronomy.

http://ukastronomers.com/glennbech/image/9526_normal.jpeg

http://ukastronomers.com/glennbech/image/9769_normal.jpeg

http://ukastronomers.com/glennbech/image/9761_normal.jpeg

You can upgrade the standard HEQ5 to GOTO later but the standard HEQ5 is a great mount and ideal for the 200p.

I would go with the standard HEQ5 and the 200p as I think it is the ideal combination use, weight, portability and growth.

I upgraded to the GOTO but only after having learned my way round the sky for over ayear before.

You will not regret this purchase.

The £495.00 shop is pulsar-optical by the way.

As someone who has the 200 on an EQ5 I would agree with what everyone has said. Go for the HEQ5 mount over goto. I really wish i could afford to upgrade my mount to the HEQ5.

Dont get me wrong the EQ5 is a good mount, its just the 200 is just maybe a little too big for it.

Steve,

Where does this leave current HEQ5 owners who may want a GoTo upgrade in the future ? ( me for instance :) ).

Will Sky-Watcher continue to offer upgrade kits from the standard HEQ5 or is that discontinued as well - if it is to be discontinued I might have to jump in and buy the upgrade now if theres any stock left.

It seems kind of strange to discontinue it as the Syntrek is quite a bit more expensive so leaves a hole in the market pricewise and the 200 with a standard HEQ5 seemed to attract so many people.

Will Sky-Watcher continue to offer upgrade kits from the standard HEQ5 or is that discontinued as well - if it is to be discontinued I might have to jump in and buy the upgrade now if theres any stock left.

Skywatcher's importer had only one on their shelf so we have grabbed that, PM me if you'd like it.

It seems kind of strange to discontinue it ...

I know what you mean Mel but the Syntrek version has significantly outsold the standard HEQ5 since it was introduced. Though the regular HEQ5 has been discontinued here in the UK I think it is still being manufactured by Synta so, who knows, we might see it again.

Archived