NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Veil gets its tail!

ollypenrice

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really nice to see the whole of the complex, and that tail explains nicely the bit of a gap in the circle shape around N 6992/6995.

Combining two colours of narrowband with RGB is really tricky, and I am glad you are still tweaking this one.

Which filter produced the strongest signal on the tail and the other bits which are showing as grey?  Green and Blue will both register Oiii emission, to a varying degree, and red will pass some Ha wavelengths, but I'm just curious what the furthest travelled gases are, although I suspect the Ozone?

Do you have Registar Olly? I find it invaluable for quickly "RGB" combining different channels for a preview of how they appear, as any filter can be assigned to any colour, as any percentage of the whole.  You could almost do with a star free version of the nebula to overlay over that RGB background.

It's a challenge this one for sure :) I have never been happy with anything I had on the Veil since seeing this Martin Pugh  APOD years ago  https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130529.html 

16 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

This is what Tom said when we started out on the original and I'm now inclined to agree. It would lift the RGB before the NB was applied. However, I've tried to 'de-strange' the blighter for the moment. How's this? I knew you'd say this, by the way, and am glad you did because it gave me a kick in the pants. Thanks!

I much prefer that second edit........ The background appears more neutral and the dust looks more natural :)

7 hours ago, Tim said:

Really nice to see the whole of the complex, and that tail explains nicely the bit of a gap in the circle shape around N 6992/6995.

Combining two colours of narrowband with RGB is really tricky, and I am glad you are still tweaking this one.

Which filter produced the strongest signal on the tail and the other bits which are showing as grey?  Green and Blue will both register Oiii emission, to a varying degree, and red will pass some Ha wavelengths, but I'm just curious what the furthest travelled gases are, although I suspect the Ozone?

Do you have Registar Olly? I find it invaluable for quickly "RGB" combining different channels for a preview of how they appear, as any filter can be assigned to any colour, as any percentage of the whole.  You could almost do with a star free version of the nebula to overlay over that RGB background.

It's a challenge this one for sure :) I have never been happy with anything I had on the Veil since seeing this Martin Pugh  APOD years ago  https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130529.html 

Thanks Tim. I'm a Registar fanatic and it feels like my right hand most of the time.

I think Ha produced the strongest signal in the grey regions. While I'd like to find colour in them I don't want this to become an essentially HOO narrowband image since that just isn't my thing. As signal fades, so does colour. I can live with that for now. I really want to keep the LRGB look and feel.

This is mostly an older image done with a Baader 7nm Ha filter and 8.5nm OIII. The fix for the tail was done with a 3nm Astrodon. I intend to carry on with this over time, perhaps using a better OIII filter if I decide to fork out, but I'm not up for another 1000 euros (all in) for a 2 inch Astrodon so I'm waiting for Baader to come up with something better than the OIII I have at the moment. As my pensions are in GBP these are not spending spree times!

I'll keep chipping away at it...

Olly

Wonderfully deep Olly and a stunning image. Your ability to turnout something very special is demonstrated time and time again and this is no exception.  Its is very difficult to see anything wrong with this image, I think you have identified the "grey regions" not producing much colour. It would be a real challenge to pull out the colour in those areas, I don't think you would be committing a sin if you were to add O3 and Ha to it. I know you would use them tastefully.

20 hours ago, Ags said:

I'm curious how the image would look like with only the RGB data...

Like this, Agnes:

1276332177_RGBWEB.thumb.jpg.6a6d4c9e88ea9603cc3c515139ce52f9.jpg

As you can see, the lack of colour in the faintest parts of the final image might be considered 'genuine' in the light of the RGB image. It would be possible to construct an HOO narrowband image and then add RGB stars and I don't doubt that the result would be excellent - but - no, that just isn't what I do. I'm a stubborn old so-and-so!

2 hours ago, peter shah said:

Wonderfully deep Olly and a stunning image. Your ability to turnout something very special is demonstrated time and time again and this is no exception.  Its is very difficult to see anything wrong with this image, I think you have identified the "grey regions" not producing much colour. It would be a real challenge to pull out the colour in those areas, I don't think you would be committing a sin if you were to add O3 and Ha to it. I know you would use them tastefully.

Thanks Peter. The image does have Ha and OIII added but, out of a stubborn addiction to natural colour, I insist on making my base image out of LRGB or RGB and then adding the NB to that. I just don't want to do it the other way round.

I think that an L layer would lift the RGB so that it was not so overwhelmed by the NB data but I won't know till I try it. For now I'm personally quite pleased with this but I know it isn't finished. Thanks for your kind encouragement! The respect is mutual, that's for sure.

Olly

Well, I must say, not what I was expecting to see when I clicked on the thread.  My first inclination is to go to full res to verify that there isn't an issue with the background, or chroma--which is hard to see through the ...what I presume is dust.  But I couldn't due to the scaling factor.  Therefore, based on the originator of this image, I must assume that it is an accurate reflection of conditions around the veil complex, though rarely,,,, very rarely, seen.  A rare one for sure Olly.  

Rodd

Archived