Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wireless control of Celestron CPC800

Hey guys doing some research about controlling my scope wireless using iphone ipads etc and it seems most people are using the skyportal wifi module. Has anyone here had any experience using this? Also is this the only way or are there other options. The main reason i'm looking at upgrading to this is the possibility of tracking the ISS and satellites etc. Will my scope even have the slew rates to track these objects???  Sorry for the bombardment of questions but there seems to be conflicting information I'm reading so anyone with this set up and advice would be massively appreciated.

Thanks all

Stu 

You can use the Celestron SkyPortal external WiFi accessory to help you FIND some satellites if connected to an I-Pad or Android tablet using SkySafari. This APP offers GoTo numerous satellites and other objects that don't feature in a hand controller menu. The HC offers merely 40,000 objects from; "Solar System", "Stars", "DSOs". The APP's GoTo options run into millions, but many will be beyond the capabilities of most amateur scopes. 

If they are in a static orbital position then your mount's normal tracking  MIGHT follow them. However, some are so tiny, you will need powerful magnification. That, of course, assumes that your mount is motorised. The WiFi accessory is simply a means of connecting wirelessly to a control device that aligns your scope and then permits you to GoTo an object . It does not itself provide tracking (that is the function of the mount).

SkySafari will also help you find and photograph the ISS, at a specific point in time, but it will very quickly move across and out of your FOV as it isn't geostationary. Hence you need a camera to grab it before it is gone. Much depends on the quality of your alignment and GoTo as just like a rifle shot at a moving target it is easy to miss. You definitely won't track the ISS, but it is large enough to be visible and the APP will tell you when and where from your location.

EDIT

Just checked. From my location SkySafari Plus 6 will <find> me 16 satellites at 22:00 tonight from a potential selection of over 50. However, typical magnitude is 14+. So most may be difficult to see in smaller aperture scopes. 

Archived