NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First AP set up advice

Once again thanks for the comments. 

I haven't decided on the mount yet, most of the lighter weight mounts don't seem to be up to the job. 

I would have liked my whole set up to be under  20kg. Possible if I went for Eq5 or EQM-35 thinking Heq5 and above will be too much for me. At £550 these mounts are not cheap but don't want to waste money. Maybe I should look out for a second hand eq5 and try it out. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

I would take the HEQ5 and not the AVX, the heq5 guides really well, where as I have read a lot of people have problems with their AVX.

Then again with SW you will likely have to do a little fine tuning yourself at some point. ?

I've not owned a heq5..avx is a awesome mount..id buy another anyday.. . If you lookup on anything especially far East made products there's going to be good ones and bad ones...

Negative commenting on something that you've never owned isn't advice

Wouldn't be without my HEQ5 now. Just starting to experiment with AP and the mount tracks great. Been using it for visual for a few months and it's found most things spot on, keeping them in view for longer than I've managed to keep patient. ? 

Can't vouch for other brands but big +1 for the HEQ5.. 

52 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I've not owned a heq5..avx is a awesome mount..id buy another anyday.. . If you lookup on anything especially far East made products there's going to be good ones and bad ones...

Negative commenting on something that you've never owned isn't advice

I was merely commenting that I have read a lot of negative comments about the avx. Just because it's a negative comment about a product you like doesn't mean it is wrong.

In retrospect though you are right that my comment was not very good advice, as it was devoid of facts or details of any kind. It was made in transit between two meetings, so I'm sorry about that.

In detail though the AVX supposedly has no Dec bearing, which say an heq5 or an eqg for that matter has. Same as my old eq3, and it will probably affect how well it guides, at least without a clean and regrease from time to time.

No-one's said it yet so I'm going to.......the mount is probably the most important part of the deal when starting AP.

I'd get at least the HEQ5. By the time you'be added a camera, guidescope, filter wheel, guide camera, focal reducer, flip mirror, dew heaters and any other toys that take your fancy it's very easy to get up to silly weights even with a small scope. You may have to add weight unintentionally in the form of a dovetail/ bracket of some description just to move the scope forward enough to balance with all the accessories attached. A smaller mount can work if there is no wind but you need something that is rock-solid enough to work whenever the sky is clear. 

The HEQ5 is not without its faults but most of them are well documented by now and have fixes. If you saved a lot of cash buying the Altair scope you might like to invest some of the change in the newer AZ-EQ5 which solves a lot of the original HEQ5 issues

The truth is that for most of us lesser mortals the learning curve is steep and painful before getting good results reliably, and guiding issues (along with processing) tend to be a biggie. I'd take advantage of other people's pain and go with the tried and tested route.

3 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

I was merely commenting that I have read a lot of negative comments about the avx. Just because it's a negative comment about a product you like doesn't mean it is wrong.

In retrospect though you are right that my comment was not very good advice, as it was devoid of facts or details of any kind. It was made in transit between two meetings, so I'm sorry about that.

In detail though the AVX supposedly has no Dec bearing, which say an heq5 or an eqg for that matter has. Same as my old eq3, and it will probably affect how well it guides, at least without a clean and regrease from time to time.

It's true that the avx has no DEC bearing but it guides pretty good for a Asian built mount (I say that as I've no idea if it's Chinese,Taiwan..) at least mine did..best I had was .69 Rms.. To be honest,maybe I was a little harsh so forgive me if I ruffled a few feathers..realistically I've never owned a skywatcher but I know of the pedigree , and many speak highly of them but as anything they have their faults..just different faults to the AVX..

Don't think with either mount with a 80mm frac you can go wrong..

Best of luck and clear skies to you 

Archived