Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Would this tripod be ok for the Sky Watcher Star Adventurer?

Hi everyone,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-centimeters-Carrying-Camcorder-kilograms/dp/B01I1C8VGI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I am wondering would this tripod be suitable for the skywatcher tracker?  Here is the bundle I will be buying. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-star-adventurer-astronomy-bundle.html

I am not sure what accessories I will need from that bundle so I am not sure what the final cost will be. I hope that this tripod would be suitable. I also read that I can attach a small telescope to the tracker with my DSLR camera, would this tripod allow me to do that? Thank you in advance.

That looks very much like the tripod I have for mine.  Different colour, but I think it's the same thing.

As for the SA, I'd probably go for the entire bundle unless you know there's stuff you won't need, or budget is an issue.

Here's mine, setting up for the lunar eclipse at the end of July in Spain.

eclipse-kit.jpg

James

The tripod looks beefy enough but gives no detail over the carrying capacity of the ball head which will be taking the weight of the equipment. From memory mine has a load carrying capacity of 8 kg so well over that for the SA mount itself. You could ask the seller though a chunkier ball head would not cost too much extra.

P.S. I didn't get on well with the SA wedge (very coarse and stiff but other's may well vary) and instead have my SA mount placed directly on one of these-https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/celestron-heavy-duty-alt-azimuth-mount.html

Best Regards,
Steve

Here we go.  Exhibit A, on the left: the ball head that came with the tripod when I bought it.  Exhibit B, on the right, and made to look far larger by being permanently attached to a dovetail: my "normal" camera ball head.

ball-heads.jpg

James

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Here we go.  Exhibit A, on the left: the ball head that came with the tripod when I bought it.  Exhibit B, on the right, and made to look far larger by being permanently attached to a dovetail: my "normal" camera ball head.

ball-heads.jpg

James

I've got 3 of those ball heads on the left, they easily handle a Batt Gripped 7DII and Sigma 150-600 Sport lens which is around 5kg dead weight not counting poor positioning.

I also have a derivative of that tripod in the back of the ML, great tripod, but my next one will not have twist lock legs, the internals of the locks were no match for my ham handedness.

Rich

I would think that the Neewer tripod would be fine, the secret with them is keep them low, I even have a mini thats a foot tall that could easily handle a SA but you would need a RA camera viewfinder to use the polarscope and camera with a flip out screen.

Alan

Archived