Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Image Sequencing

Aidan

Typically when I set up my image sequence run(SGP), I set the events for my filters LRGB or NB, etc and the number of shots to take.   The sequence is set to take the full amount of shots on one filter, then switch to the next and so on.

Is there any logic or benefit by either rotating through the filters until the sequence ends or even duplicating the events so it images half the sequence on all filters and then repeats ?

Whats got me thinking about this is now I’m about to start using a CMOS camera and he relatively short exposure time... dithering and autofocus need a bit more consideration.

Thought?

I suppose it does make sense to cycle through all four filters for LRGB and then back to the beginning of the sequence.

That way you're getting a full "set", rather than only doing say L and R, then having to stop when lovely things like clouds stop play.

On 04/09/2018 at 21:39, Davey-T said:

It's best to capture your luminance and probably blue when the target is at it's highest.

Dave

Certainly. The lower the object the more important this is. Also, at least at my location, the seeing tends to improve during the night. There is no point in shooting luminance in bad seeing.

Olly

There are lots of sound technical reasons for shooting the channels in blocks, as already posted, but I have an overriding objective of capturing a 'complete' image in every session, driven by my current limited imaging time due to the UK weather,  having a temporary set up and having to get up for work the next day. Hence I shoot LRGB equally in a 40 minute sequence and then go back and repeat. This inevitably means I have meagre total integration times, but I generally can produce some kind of result from each session.

However, I will do it 'properly' when I retire and get a permanent observatory.

6 minutes ago, tomato said:

Hence I shoot LRGB equally in a 40 minute sequence

Do you need equal amounts of each, depending on the actual setup RGB could be binned and more luminance captured once enough RGB has been captured to create a reasonable image plus I'd priorities blue and red.

Obviously this complicates the processing a bit :grin:

Dave

I tried binning the RGB when I initially got my monochrome camera, but couldn’t make it work in the processing. Since then I’ve imaged the channels equally at the same resolution but now I know (a little bit) more about processing it would be worth revisiting this. 

Could give it a go at Lucksall, ?

Archived