NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

'revamped WWll Field Tripod

mikeDnight

I've had a WWll army surplus  Field tripod in my possession for thirty years or more, and although its rock solid, it looked pretty scruffy and didnt get used much. Over the years it had been painted (not very well), so it needed drastic action to bring it back to a reasonable finish. I decided to dismantle it and then place the components in a bath of caustic soda (very dangerous!) If anyone wants to use this method of paint stripping, they will need goggles, rubber gloves and do it in a well ventilated area. Don't breathe the fumes!    After a short while the top layer of paint began to bubble and lift from the metal, and a light scrape removed it. Beneath was more paint so I left the legs in the caustic bath for longer. On one of the legs there appeared the lettering BEDFORD ASTRONOMICAL SUPPLIES, in white hand written form, so a little history was revealed. Below that was a army code for the tripod.

Anyhow, once the paint had lifted and the metalwork had been washed off with clean water to remove any trace of caustic, I spray painted undercoat on all the parts. Later I gave several coats of top paint and reassembled the tripod. It still needs a spreader but the legs are firm enough to be used without one temporarily. A pleasing result and a super solid tripod!

The pic below shows the tripod with AZ4 and my mate paulastro demonstrating.

20180831_162223.jpg

20180831_162201.jpg

20180831_162446.jpg

Nice job! As Alan suggests I think Paul steals the show - could be a new side line. It's just struck me that the limelight falls on the "old" tripod (and not quite so old Paul) and the Tak takes a back seat - must be a first.

2 hours ago, Alfian said:

Nice job! As Alan suggests I think Paul steals the show - could be a new side line. It's just struck me that the limelight falls on the "old" tripod (and not quite so old Paul) and the Tak takes a back seat - must be a first.

I agree Ian, Paul does steal the show. He even looks a little bashful in the first pic, and poor Taky is so easily overlooked - Poor thing!

4 hours ago, Alan White said:

I see the AZ4 has gone blue as well, nice job.

Paul of course does such a fine job as model, he has an equity card I take it ?

Well spotted Alan, the AZ4 is now slate blue, or at least that's what it said on the spray can. Don't give Paul any ideas about becoming a model or he'll start charging me per pose. ☺

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Very nice job Mike, looks great and even matches your Tak prism ?

Hi Stu,

Paul also noticed the similarity in colour between the Tak prism and the legs. I hadn't noticed until it was pointed out to me. I wasn't sure I liked the bright blue colour on the legs but Paul thought it looked great. I do like the slate blue colour I've painted the AZ4, but I've resisted the temptation to spray the Tak, so far! ?

Great job, your friend Paul certainly steal the show but so is your garden! So green?

Was just listening the news that England had the driest summer since 1976 and many historical sites were revealed by the lack or dying vegetation, but your garden looks so green and beautiful!

It clashes with your beautiful blue tripod!     ;-)

8 hours ago, VNA said:

Great job, your friend Paul certainly steal the show but so is your garden! So green?

Was just listening the news that England had the driest summer since 1976 and many historical sites were revealed by the lack or dying vegetation, but your garden looks so green and beautiful!

It clashes with your beautiful blue tripod!     ?

It's true we've had a hot summer and my lawns did scorch a little, but they've made a remarkable recovery. I think news reports nearly always try to sensationalize facts to grab people's attention. The truth is that the summer has been fantastic, at least from my perspective. I can't remember a time since I was a child, that my legs have seen so much sunlight - (SGL won't let me post pictures but its probably for the best!). 

Archived