Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWatcher 72ED just arrived

1 hour ago, nicoscy said:

So, aggressive look with the black one or cute look with the one that has the black outline?

I prefer the gentler black outline on white background. The black pig is a bit "in your face" for my taste.

Ade

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ade,

Wife and daughter are in the same camp as you and despite my preference to the black one, I do think Truffles will get the one with the black outline.

This weekend I will put it through its paces for EAA (despite the moon) and also do some proper testing of optics with my eyepieces. 

More to come after the weekend and also when the Baader Clicklock and adapter arrives.

This scope is too much fun to own ;)

Thanks Stu!

I finally figured out why I like the scope so much! It has been said that the 80mm f5 achro is the cockroach of astronomy and everybody should at least own one once in their lifetime as amateur astronomers. This scope is the ED equivalent - let's call it the rat of astronomy. Cheap, cheerful, fun ;)

I received my ZWO adapters yesterday so I am good to go in terms of testing the scope this weekend, despite the moon. I will make some allowance for light pollution or use my Moon & Skyglow Filter just to improve contrast a wee bit.

IMG_4205.JPG

Another measurement to add: Rings are 3” or 76mm internal diameter. If one wished to change them, choices are almost non existent  as save for the TV 3” clamshell, all others start with 80mm internal diameter.

Edit: Parallax makes 3” mounting rings as well. In case someone wants to upgrade the rings...

Updates:

1. The Lynx visual back is wholly unsuitable for either a 2” diagonal or your imaging train as it generates a lot of tilt. I have a Baader Clicklock on the way (with appropriate adapter) and will endeavor to report once I swap visual backs.

2. Last night I put Truffles through its paces and the scope fully justifies the ED designation. False color is very well controlled both visually and photographically. EAA was a lot of fun last night, despite the Moon messing things up. Albireo (sigh, now confirmed to be only a visual double star system) was fantastic at about 56x with a Tak 7.5 LE, with lovely color rendition of orange / red and white / blue. The Pleiades with Ethos 13mm at 32x were framed very well, no false color and Field curvature at 5.8 being the most annoying aspect (I am a 7.5 focal ratio and slower kinda guy) of the experience (not that it was bad, but I am used to less of it and this is not a fault of the Optics, but a result of the focal length of the scope Vs diameter of objective). The Moon (again with the Tak LE 7.5) showed only a yellowish tint due to atmospheric refraction and excellent contrast.

It depends. If you buy it and use it as is, then yes. Spend anything on upgrades and the TS 72mm f6 is the better scope. 

I bought mine because I like the looks of it, but adding a clicklock brings me to the same cost as the TS. I am ok with it, but as I said, if you consider spending a penny on extras, get the TS to be sorted out ;)

Setting aside EAA and quick views etc with this scope, this Saturday I plan to dual mount my FS-128 (her name is Callisto), with Truffles and employ a Tele Vue 40mm Wide field and go nebulae hunting.

Think 6.86mm Exit pupil, 5.62° TFOV and 11x. Should be a ton and a half of fun. I will be taking some smaller eyepieces (24Pan, 13NagT6 and 7NagT6) just to run the scope through various magnifications and establish its capabilities.

For those scoffing at small refractors, there is always something to see and the joy of spotting something at the limit of the scope - you just have to accept the aperture limitations, release yourself from it and lose yourself in the huge range of objects you can see / spot even with a humble 72mm!

2 hours ago, nicoscy said:

For those scoffing at small refractors, there is always something to see and the joy of spotting something at the limit of the scope - you just have to accept the aperture limitations, release yourself from it and lose yourself in the huge range of objects you can see / spot even with a humble 72mm!

Couldn’t agree more!!! :)

3 hours ago, nicoscy said:

No scoffing here! ?

Archived