Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick Menorca report

Highburymark

Back from Menorca holiday this week. Temperatures in the high 30s throughout and very humid - hardly perfect for stargazing but penultimate night seeing was fairly good and more modest humidity. Took Takahashi FC-100, and mostly used Panoptic 24, Nagler 11, and Delites 3 and 4 for planets. Saturn was beautiful - Cassini prominent throughout, and could actually make out C-ring in my final session. Jupiter also lovely - nice detail in the temperate belts though colours seemed more muted than usual. Mars was just an enormous sandy blob all holiday - a huge disappointment. Open clusters were least affected by the humid conditions, so enjoyed sweeping through Sagittarius and Scorpius - M6 and M7 marvellous. M11 and Cassiopeia OCs likewise. Managing to resolve the outer stars of M22  - also spent a long time on M13 and M4.. Swan nebula was stunning, but highlight of the holiday was the Dumbbell - really extraordinary detail that the Tak pulled out of an object I've observed scores of times before, but never with this success. Came back to UK slightly regretful that I hadn't expanded my Messier and NGC account, but very happy that the weather gods allowed me one excellent session

Mark

Welcome back to damp and cooler Blighty.
You were indeed blessed with a decent nights observing, which must have been somewhat better than London at its best.
Have no regrets, you sound like your session was of note and most enjoyed.

Excellent report.... reads like you had some great views, especially of Saturn and Jupiter. Mars is overhead from my location and the dark markings are visible but very subtle, so I can see how it might be difficult to see detail on a lower in the sky Mars.

Don't regret, even a little, about not bagging more NGC or Messiers.. see it as something left for next time.

Excellent report!  Menorca can be very very good for observing. Which part of the island were you located?  I was once at a coastal resort on the SE tip which was very favourable LP-wise. Aiming to the SE was over pristine waters :) 

4 hours ago, Special K said:

Excellent report!  Menorca can be very very good for observing. Which part of the island were you located?  I was once at a coastal resort on the SE tip which was very favourable LP-wise. Aiming to the SE was over pristine waters :) 

Thanks Kevin. We were staying at the Biniarroca hotel near Sant Lluis - very close to the south east. Agree it's a good area for stargazing - no big tourist resorts. In previous years I've found a couple of dark locations along the coast - west of Punta Prima

Archived