Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why Did You Start??

cloudsweeper

I am of the same vintage as some folks who have posted in this thread in that I turned 9 just after the Apollo 9 astronauts walked on the moon. When, I was a little younger than this, my mother gave a kid's book that had drawings of rockets going into space. I have been addicted to planets, stars and space ever since this.

On 06/08/2018 at 23:04, cloudsweeper said:

Plus - a career based on physics and maths already had me aware of elements of astrophysics and the functioning of telescopes.

It was the other way around for me.  My early fascination with astronomy led me to study physics and maths at university, and to my career teaching physics. My career has given me many life experiences. I have lived and taught: in 5 distinct regions of Canada (almost coast-to-coast); for 1 year in the mainland US; for 2 years on a Caribbean island. All because of an early interest in astronomy!

My astronomical activities are either visual or theoretical. I don't do any astrophotography, but I can appreciate that people get great pleasure and satisfaction from this.

My mother tried to feed my early interest by getting me a cheap 50 mm telescope and cheap bins (almost toys). The mount on my scope broke immediately, so I used it by propping it up on the edges of steps outside. In high school, I earned enough money from odd jobs to buy decent 10x50 bins, which I used quite often for years. Eventually, a prism shifted (I think), and I was too scared to try and fix them. I kind of forgot about visual astronomy for quite some time, but my interest was rekindled (in a big way!) in 2005-2006, when I was assigned two astronomy courses to teach. I bought 15x70 bins in 2006, which I still love to use. In 2009, I took a bigger plunge, and I bought a Celestron NexStar 8 SE.

Example of the pleasure visual astronomy gives me:

One early evening a couple of months ago, I took the scope out to look at the Moon, which easily took high magnification. Since the seeing was excellent, I checked a magazine, saw that Jupiter's Great Red Spot was going to be near the meridian in a few hours, and decided to leave the scope out until it got dark. When I took a peek, not only was the GRS clearly visible, so too was a shadow transit that was in progress, which was a nice surprise. Lots of endorphins released.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A certain, admittedly limited, appreciation and knowledge of the stars above seemed to be a backdrop to my childhood in the same way that I knew about wild birds and animals. I cant say when it began but I was a country boy and its how it was. My dad was however a big part of it. It was always my dad that showed me things to do with nature and so being able to pick out the "plough" (Ursa Major came later) and Cassiopeia and Orion undoubtedly was his doing. I remember having a very second hand small telescopic type telescope  that probably  came from a jumble sale or something that I used to look at the moon and was amazed. Somewhere I've still got a well thumbed Observers book of Astronomy by Sir Patrick. Alongside all of this was the excitement of early days of rocket launches and the space race and followed the Mercury, Gemini and of the Apollo missions. Edge of the seat stuff. My first look through a proper astronomical telescope, at about 12 years old, was when a  school friend Howard proudly showed me his 4" Charles Frank reflector. Howard  was a very keen, very knowledgeable young astronomer and it was clear as we went through secondary school together that he would go far. He always said he wanted to be an astro-physicist and he did exactly that. Howard and I and a couple of other mates formed the village astronomy club. It only ever had us four members and of course we used Howards 'scope.  That short lived induction into astronomy was quickly swamped by  exams, college, work and life in general although I was always drawn to anything so related that was in the news or on TV. Many years later, marriage family etc I would occasionally go out and have a look at the stars, watch relevant TV stuff, Sky at Night, Horizon, and no doubt talk about it to anybody listening.  Someone must have been. For my sixtieth birthday a large parcel arrived with no initial indication of what it was or who it was from. It was a Celestron 130EQ and it was from my youngest son. I was utterly gob smacked and delighted and very grateful. A very steep, but enthusiastically followed, learning curve ensued which sort of continues to this day, although not quite so steep now. That telescope was something of a mixed blessing, some days were very frustrating but I can't ignore the fact that it got me going and for that I am very grateful and now several scopes and associated gear later, and £s lighter, I'm still at it. Although my "hands on scope time" always seems far less than i would like, Astronomy as a hobby is a great focus of activity and certainly in retirement I couldn't think of anything better to keep the grey cells working - hopefully.     

On 07/08/2018 at 01:37, Relpet said:

My wife wanted to buy me a metal detector for Christmas

I've never come home empty handed? There's a certain amount of excitement in digging up the past, be that metal trash, a modern day coin or something a little older? There's really no guarantee of what you may find, but  I've found more 'targets'  underground than I've seen in the  night sky over the last few Years.

That said, I don't dislike astronomy, far from it, but the conditions under which I observe, after taking everything into account could easily have put most other folk off the hobby, especially observing from my garden, due to the excessive glare from the street lights,  horizontal security lamps and the oh-so persistent bad weather  I've encountered for I don't know how long prior to this Years summer?  but a short trip away from the house, I have some of the best skies  the UK can offer, when conditions allow. The same latitude as the Isle of Skye (  just  read reports from the regular Dob-Mob visitors who visit Skye )  and you'll understand why.

I've always had an interest in astronomy, witnessed the Moon landing in colour! and I'm here today as the result of my first telescope  purchased from a place somewhere North of Inverness some 5 Years ago. Turns out the scope was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard when it came to viewing Jupiter, but it taught me some basic lessons, The  move onto the 8" Skyliner was pivotal to my longevity here, and astronomy itself, if you can call 5 Years a long time.

I was so young i still smelled like milk when my late father excitedly ushered me to the TV to watch COSMOS in 1982, it aroused my curiosity to no end. Shortly after, dad gave me my first Safari 60mm scope, which shook like an oscilloscope dot, but was enough for me to see craters, and a set of ears on Saturn.  From then on, stargazing became a family function, Mom would pack snacks on clear nights, and we would all head to a dark site, times forever ingrained in me.

Thank you Dad, for not only making sure we had food on the table, but making sure my mind was fed well also.   

On 07/08/2018 at 19:45, DaveS said:

Can't remenber *why* I started astronomy, any more than I can remember why I started breathing, it's always been there.

That about sums it up. As the lyrics to the song 'Australia' by The Shins says:-

Born to multiply, Born to gaze into night skies.

It took me 52 years mind you to get my first telescope!

Archived