Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First comet image - 21P/Giacobini-Zinner

After piggy backing my Canon camera to my C8 SCT on my Celestron AVX Mount last night to do some first test shots with the combo, the final thing I caught was 21P/Giacobani-Zinner in Cassiopeia. Still loads to learn with lots of failures on the way I’m sure, but pleased to nab this with  20 second exposure at least. Anymore exposure than this in my LP poluted skies and it becomes a wash out. No great shakes I know, and just a single image, but pleased that it was picked up in shot. Did 4 other images at different exposures and the same object is in all of them, and was much more visible in the Celestron 18mm Excel EP.

A822C74F-B672-4FB7-A7DD-69653DBEE756.thumb.jpeg.a93466bd032e166ee148cd7310f802ee.jpeg

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Great to capture a comet, be something to track as it can be fun when they pass other interesting objects, if you take more images you might get some colour in it.

Thanks happy-kat. Hope to try to get some more images tonight if clear, and try some through both my SCT or small ‘frac. :) 

6 minutes ago, Ceramus said:

Managed to find it with bins Saturday night  in a star party at a very dark  sky site 1600 mts high in eastern Andalucia. Nice view in my 8" SCT, quite bright with a short but open tail.

Yes, managed a better image the other night which shows the coma better, and a short stub of a tail. Hoping to get more images as soon as skies allow.

402A42B5-24D0-43C6-8719-27711787121F.thumb.png.a91d0b2f47d52032d04fe01632346d3e.png

Archived