Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Weird star shapes

As for the collimation, how good are these scopes to hold their collimation and what could throw it off? Also how long do these scopes stay collimated?

I have not banged the scope anywhere, always kept it in a nice snug case, no bumps or putting it down hard.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/08/2018 at 15:52, souls33k3r said:

Just to add, it's a WO Star 71 scope which i bought off FLO and this was checked and tuned by ES Reid.

Was this one of the re collimated returns FLO sold a couple of years ago?

I only ask because I bought one too and noticed my stars aren't quite right. They got a coma sort of look too them, but it's all pointing in the same direction.

13 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Was this one of the re collimated returns FLO sold a couple of years ago?

I only ask because I bought one too and noticed my stars aren't quite right. They got a coma sort of look too them, but it's all pointing in the same direction.

No mate, it was brand new.

6 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Have you received any answers or updates yet? 

No mate, nothing yet.  

I deliberately did not bother the good folks over at FLO for a week so emailed them first thing yesterday but i guess my email must've slipped through the nets. Will email again today.

15 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

So heard back from FLO, they're waiting on ES Reid to reply to them so that they can send the scope off to him. Not sure how long this process will take.

Mine took a couple of weeks, mate.  Es is very good so very busy (and of course it is holiday season) but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

1 minute ago, RayD said:

Mine took a couple of weeks, mate.  Es is very good so very busy (and of course it is holiday season) but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

I don't mind waiting mate as long as it comes back better :) I can promise you, i will be keeping a very close eye on my stars now.

9 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

I don't mind waiting mate as long as it comes back better :) I can promise you, i will be keeping a very close eye on my stars now.

All processing done at 400% from now on ?

14 hours ago, RayD said:

All processing done at 400% from now on ?

Request sent in to have 800% feature implemented ?

14 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Good to hear you're getting yours sorted.

I'm hoping I can find a fix for mine

Oh the wait is killing me . I sincerely do hope you're able to find the fix for your matey.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here's an update. My scope was checked by ES Reid and the optics had to be reset (collimation issue). I reckon the misalignment could've happened during the scope being couriered. Super pleased that it got taken care of. Top marks to FLO as always. Will put the scope to it's paces. 

Thank you all for all your help. Will update when the scope returns.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that's great service !!!!!

If you have access to CCD Inspector it will hive you a graphical representation in 3D of your image flatness and tilt. If you don't have access just email me a single TIFF or XISF etc and I will happily run it through CCDI and send you back the results - either before or after Es has fettled it then you have a comparison.

Just PM me for my email address.

15 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Now that's great service !!!!!

If you have access to CCD Inspector it will hive you a graphical representation in 3D of your image flatness and tilt. If you don't have access just email me a single TIFF or XISF etc and I will happily run it through CCDI and send you back the results - either before or after Es has fettled it then you have a comparison.

Just PM me for my email address.

There's no doubt that the scope got delivered within record time but the whole process was painstakingly slow. I seriously did not expect it to be this slow.

Cheers mate, i do have CCD Inspector and will take an image of it and go through that just not sure tonight is the night to do it all as the weather is a little unpredictable tonight but so far tomorrow and Friday are looking good.

Testing the scope tonight but it's all going pear shaped for me.

First it's the lakeside focuser which is acting weird (started a separate thread for that) and then secondly i have a weird bright star shaped pattern going on.

I have used this scope in a more gusty winds in the past with really good results but this time it's .... i don't know what  is going on if i'm being honest.

In one image, i'm seeing small stars showing up fine but the bright stars are showing up weirdly oval with spikes coming out of it's side

1538335790_starissue.JPG.92677472297e0fd20bc92d60841ef6d4.JPG

and then in other images, i have guiding issues where you can clearly see the stars are moving in one directions but the bright one still has that spiky pattern to it

934182214_starissue2.JPG.b78999b3f6490671b423077881d9cd6d.JPG

and what's even more weird that if i take out the stretch from the image, all stars and even the brighter ones are moving to one side.

Same image as above but without stretch

1731492074_starissue3.JPG.eef53a9b42dc33c512b812438c54e437.JPG

and it's not just one filter, it's with Ha as well. Same target and one is before it went to ES Reid (Left) and one is after (Right)

246383311_sametarget.thumb.JPG.35550e7c8d6e462b28ae075906f3e845.JPG

Please help :(

Looks like the sort of thing caused by clips holding the front objective lens.

Can't be much help with the Pegasus thing, expect Ray will pop up when he spots your post, if you've installed the Lakeside Utilities you could focus manually using FWHM / HFD  but  not much point if the stars are weird.

Lost a few subs tonight due to the playful wind but expect it with the SCT as It makes a good flag :grin:

Dave

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Looks like the sort of thing caused by clips holding the front objective lens.

Can't be much help with the Pegasus thing, expect Ray will pop up when he spots your post, if you've installed the Lakeside Utilities you could focus manually using FWHM / HFD  but  not much point if the stars are weird.

Lost a few subs tonight due to the playful wind but expect it with the SCT as It makes a good flag :grin:

Dave

I feared for this :( The scope has been away for a month only to come back to me with this new issue now.

It was quite windy earlier tonight but now the wind has settled. 

I'm not giving up and going to give it another go. I've wasted so much time on this tonight. Nearly 3hrs of astro darkness :(

Cheers for the input matey. Much appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

According to CO it's going to cloud over any minute so just going to have a look outside.

Dave

Eek! I just need 15 min to get another exposure and see if this helps. 

I actually restarted my machine and gone through the balance once again to be on the safe side

Well they got that forecast spot on damn them, packed up now but at least I only have to switch off and close the roof so doesn't take a minute.

Been imaging up in the same area as yourself, an obscure little galaxy in Cassiopeia.

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Well they got that forecast spot on damn them, packed up now but at least I only have to switch off and close the roof so doesn't take a minute.

Been imaging up in the same area as yourself, an obscure little galaxy in Cassiopeia.

Dave

I just need another minute or 5 just to test a few more subs.

I've edited my post to include an image from HA filter as well. So it's not a filter issue. 

My scope went in because of slight aberration and honestly it rather came back worse. Not happy about it right now.

I need to do something like yourself, just tired of wasting a really good night on silly issues. 

Ok first sub since the machine restart and balanced has come in.

Same story. At least this time i do not have any star trails as the balance seems to be on point but the weird star shapes is still there. That's it, it's going back to FLO again :(

Stretched Image:

1274329872_samestory.JPG.7d2a514773ce34d45c08df036e1ccea1.JPG

Un-stretched Image:

147457690_samestory2.JPG.971de834c48f54a66087ad1c1b071e87.JPG

Archived