NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can't find Saturn

Krisko

Hello everyone!

After some nights of trying to catch Saturn, i came to ask for your help ! I downloaded Sky View app for android and i easily locate where Saturn is. But when i start search it (with Celestron AstroMaster 90EQ) i cant find it. There are a lot of stars around Saturn, i cant see any sign of him,unlike Mars,Jupiter or Venus which are very easy to find. I observe star by star hoping to find Saturn but no results... Can anyone give me advices or reason why Saturn is undetectable?

The first thing to do is to make sure that your red dot finder is properly aligned as this will help enormously with finding objects. Saturn currently is between Jupiter and Mars in the sky, lower than Jupiter but a little higher than Mars. Even with your 20mm eyepiece it should easily show the shape of Saturn and its ring.

3 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

The first thing to do is to make sure that your red dot finder is properly aligned as this will help enormously with finding objects. Saturn currently is between Jupiter and Mars in the sky, lower than Jupiter but a little higher than Mars. Even with your 20mm eyepiece it should easily show the shape of Saturn and its ring.

I have nerver used red dot finder, i find planets manualy with rotation axes. i know where it is located but cant see it while observing 

1 minute ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

so you can see saturn with your naked eye but not with your scope?

yes, i see it with naked eye but when i point the scope there, there are only stars from Scorpio... I dont know what is wrong

Are you using a very low powered eye piece then?

When I used the goto on the etx90, even if I'd thought it was well aligned, if it was even slightly off it would be too much for all but the widest eye piece.

I used to pan out in a spiral until I'd find the object.

The red dot finder would help though. ;)

1 minute ago, bingevader said:

Are you using a very low powered eye piece then?

When I used the goto on the etx90, even if I'd thought it was well aligned, if it was even slightly off it would be too much for all but the widest eye piece.

I used to pan out in a spiral until I'd find the object.

The red dot finder would help though. ;)

Im using this 20mm eyepiece : 

i also move in spiral and other directions until i find the current object. I find everything i wanted, but Saturn i couldnt  for some days, actually i have never seen it from my scope.

стттт.png

If you can find Mars and Jupiter but not Saturn I think you're looking in the wrong place. Double check stellarium or use SkyMap on android. when using phone apps its worth locking the screen and lining up manually instead of relying on accelerometers and the internal compass.

3 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

If you can find Mars and Jupiter but not Saturn I think you're looking in the wrong place. Double check stellarium or use SkyMap on android. when using phone apps its worth locking the screen and lining up manually instead of relying on accelerometers and the internal compass.

Tommorow i will try again and i will write here what happened. Hope i find it :) :D Thank you very much all of you!!!

Archived