M57 and small fuzzies

kirkster501

Been away from imaging a bit due to light nights and work commitments.  Can't even start image until 11:30 in mid summer so that only really leaves Friday and Saturday and they are friends and GF nights.  I was free on Saturday so spent some time in the obs.

Grabbed 140 minutes of 10 min exposures with TEC/Flattener on ATik 460.  Luminance only at this stage.  Lots of small galaxies present.

Hope you like it.

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 10.25.19.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 10.25.04.png

Nicely done, getting anything meaningful on those fuzzies is tricky. Once spent far too long trying to observe the cute spiral next to M57, in a friends 24" dob at a dark site. IIRC it is around mag 17, so should have been doable, but neither of us could pick it out, going to try again this year hopefully.

Nice image Steve and also great to see you imaging again. It's amazing when you process M57 how bright it is for such a small target. I found I was over exposing with my Tal 200k and Atik 460. Can't wait to see some colour added to that fine Lum image :)

Steve

7 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

M57 is one of my favorite  objects nice capture on the central star.

Yes one of my faves too.  Very small though and not much "excitement" for the time spent grabbing the required data...  Indeed, M57 responds well to many, many hours of subs to bring the outer halo out that are not easy to get in summer without dedicating almost the whole summer to it.  I am happy with the Lum on this (maybe another hour) then i'll grab a hour each of RGB and maybe an hour or two of Ha and then move on t the Hercules cluster or M13 if we get a very steady night.

4 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Yes one of my faves too.  Very small though and not much "excitement" for the time spent grabbing the required data...  Indeed, M57 responds well to many, many hours of subs to bring the outer halo out that are not easy to get in summer without dedicating almost the whole summer to it.  I am happy with the Lum on this (maybe another hour) then i'll grab a hour each of RGB and maybe an hour or two of Ha and then move on t the Hercules cluster or M13 if we get a very steady night.

I admire your dedication I am visual only so to take all those images to stack is a real accomplishment. 

Archived