Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Reasonable price?

emadmoussa

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on exactly which scope but generally 60% of the retail price would be reasonable so 55% is better still.

My only caveat would be that some brands (eg: Orion Optics) seem to depreciate a lot more than others.

Just a quick additional point. It's worth making absolutely sure what the true retail price is of the exact scope model and spec you are considering - don't just take someones word for it. But I'm sure you will be cautious with an investment at that level :smiley:

Thanks, John. Yes, it's the same exact SCT model. 

Someone I know bought the same scope with accessories for £1200, which I think he was probably extremely lucky and the seller was perhaps desperate to sell/for money. 

I feel that John's 60% rule is the norm within the community but it applies to optical components above all. Electronic components, unlike optical ones, go on depreciating because they go on degrading till they don't work. Optics, if looked after, suffer minimal degredation over time.

So I'd pay 60% for a 5/6 year old SCT OTA but maybe not for its go-to mount. Because they are never going to appeal to DS imagers the fork or single arm mounts have a limited used market value.

Olly

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

I feel that John's 60% rule is the norm within the community but it applies to optical components above all. Electronic components, unlike optical ones, go on depreciating because they go on degrading till they don't work. Optics, if looked after, suffer minimal degredation over time.

So I'd pay 60% for a 5/6 year old SCT OTA but maybe not for it's go-to mount. Because they are never going to appeal to DS imagers the fork or single arm mounts have a limited used market value.

Olly

Understand. I'm not an imager, though, and the funny thing I do prefer fork to equatorial mounts. I do have some concerns about the electronics, yes. 

4 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

id be tempted to go for a nice frac, tak or something along the lines, but if that's what you want the price seams on the money. charl.

Actually, being an LX200 with a very strong fork, bigger-than-life tripod, I'll be mounting an apo refractor on top of it - 80ED maybe. I can't help it, I've got a soft spot for fracs. Of course, it won't be instant as buying the main scope is likely to hit my bank account like a nuclear holocaust. 

I looked at it like this, the price is = or near to what a new takahashi 100mm would cost, with the tak it would proberly be worth the same in 10years or more, i know I shouldn't be looking at it as a investment but that's the way I would make it seam fine in my wifes mind ?. charl.

Just now, Rob said:

They are no where near the levels of Skywatcher & Celestron.. also mead motors are quite noisy. As I said though the optics are wonderful

But they do remember position if you slew manually? I'm more concerned about racking than goto... 

Are you buying private or through a shop? Shop wise ENS Optical sell 2nd hand kit (my 100ed came from them), Telescope House have a Preowned 12" Meade. For the kind of kit your looking at I would drop them an email or phone them to see if they can get what your after, they might have contacts.

I did some reading up on older Meade telescopes, main issue was electronics failing. Meade were refusing to ship spares, they wanted the entire scope back! Might be worth checking who can do work on the scope your looking at in the UK, Telescope House were the importer a few years back, and not that far from Hampshire.

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

I did some reading up on older Meade telescopes, main issue was electronics failing. Meade were refusing to ship spares, they wanted the entire scope back! Might be worth checking who can do work on the scope your looking at in the UK, Telescope House were the importer a few years back, and not that far from Hampshire.

Yes, that was common with older versions. But the LX200 AFC is the new version. 

Archived