SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do I have light leaking into my camera?

Heyho, when shooting with my Ha filter I notice some bright rays coming in from one side of the image.

I first saw them when shooting in an area near saturn but thought maybe it's stray light from saturn but now I'm imaging far away from any bright star and I still get those rays.

Also they are pretty much in the same area as in my earlier shots...

What makes me think it's leaking in is that it's not red like it woould be through the Ha... but I don't seem have this problem when shooting without filter

Here's what it looks like when I stretch the image:

light leak.PNG

It would be helpful to know what camera? and scope used, from experience with DSLRs for example they can leak light through the viewfinder (Canon provide a lens cover)  but have no other ideas at this time.

Alan

Just now, Alien 13 said:

It would be helpful to know what camera? and scope used, from experience with DSLRs for example they can leak light through the viewfinder (Canon provide a lens cover)  but have no other ideas at this time.

Sorry, ofc:

ZWO ASI294 MC Pro on an Omegon Pro RC 1624/203.

I just went over some dark frames and the rays are not there... Maybe it's a problem with my filter?

36 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Darks should calibrate it out

That's the weired thing... they don't show up on my darks.

Will have to inspect my filter once I'm done with shooting tonight.

40 minutes ago, Forunke said:

That's the weired thing... they don't show up on my darks.

Will have to inspect my filter once I'm done with shooting tonight.

Very strange indeed.

When shooting without the HA filter are you using the same sub length? Amp glow will be worse the longer you expose for.

Here's an unstretched and stretched dark from my QHY183C. Note it is the same image.

unstretched.jpg

stretched.jpg

I find this an odd pattern for amp glow. If I were you, I'd contact ZWO about this.

To determine if it's the Ha filter, do an identical exposure with another filter (eg red). You can also change position of the filters in the filter wheel, to exclude that factor.

Good luck

3 minutes ago, wimvb said:

I find this an odd pattern for amp glow. If I were you, I'd contact ZWO about this.

Will do after I run some more tests next time I'm out.

Also did switch some parts between focuser and camera.

• 8 months later...

That is almost certainly amp glow as others said. I get the same with my ZWO ASI 183MM, and it looks almost exactly like this, and I went through a whole trouble-shooting session, then only to figure out it was amp glow. Applying Dark Frames can greatly reduce these.

Concur that this looks very much like amp glow. Definitive diagnostic is as they say: Take some darks -- important to do at the same exposure (and if CMOS camera, gain) and temperature if possible. Stretch the dark, and see if the same pattern shows up.

The good news is that these calibrate right out. They look as scary as all heck though!

Archived