NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My new travel set up arrived today

I have the same mount and tripod albeit with a 127 Mak, never really considered it as a travel setup but I guess it is quite portable really.

Does this mean I need a bigger 'main' telescope................

Thanks. How do you like the mount? I haven't tried it yet but am waiting with anticipation ?. I do have a Meade etx 125 which I could put on this mount as well but this scope is about 1/2 the weight and I'm enjoying frac views more than mak at the moment, not sure why really but the focuser on the Meade is a bit more fickle. I think the skymax is better in that respect. 

I posted previously about travel mounts and this was suggested by another SGL member as a portable mount that could go in hand luggage. The skymax 127 is a great scope for sure - if you were considering bigger than an 8" + reflector dob style would give you great views of deep sky objects. 

Clear skies

steve 

1 hour ago, cv01jw said:

I have the same mount and tripod albeit with a 127 Mak, never really considered it as a travel setup but I guess it is quite portable really.

Does this mean I need a bigger 'main' telescope................

You always need a bigger telescope that's the 1st law. :)

Jim 

2 hours ago, VNA said:

If that is traveling light with this scope, your main scope left behind when traveling must be huge!

In comparison they are ..... 12 inch Dob, 8 inch Dob, 5 inch frac SW Equinox and 5 mak Etx 125 ... I found it tricky to find a balance between portability and usefulness and this edged it over a 70mm frac and a 100mm Mak. Hopefully it'll do the job.

Good question. At the moment im planning to use a very well padded carry on size suitcase which will also hold the mount without the tripod as well.  Not tried it yet but if it doesn't work I'll use a soft case dedicated for the ota. 

Steve 

Archived