Beginner tips please

Hello guys, I have recently bought a canon 400d and I am waiting on the delivery of my eq6 pro mount being delivered today. I am basically looking for tips on where to get started. I have never used a dslr before ?. I have  sw 200p which I used to mount on an eq5 but I donated that to my mate yesterday (the eq5).

I have ordered a t ring 1.25 adaptor which should be here in a few days. 

47 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

are 30 secs subs the most you can get unguided with an ed80 and eq6?

Not in my experience. Polar alignment being accurate, mount setup, balance and position of target helped me achieve 2 -3 minutes sometimes.  

3 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

The 400D doesn't have live view which is going to make focusing a little harder.

This is mostly what I need help with. Is there a workaround as I bought the camera in haste.

3 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

use the live view function in astrophotographytools or backyardeos. both have free trial versions. 

Is there anything available for android as I don't have a laptop to drag about.

DSLR Controller is excellent. But I don't think it goes back to the 400d might be the 500d the earliest supported model.

Try remote release (this app is free) by Chainfire if that works the other application is very likely. 

36 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

DSLR Controller is excellent. But I don't think it goes back to the 400d might be the 450d the earliest supported model.

Try remote release by Chainfire if that works the other application is very likely.

Says limited support with 400d . May be worth checking out. May not be lol

Using a bahtinov mask (can make your own) and a bright star, take a photo, review (try plugging camera into adnroid device with OTG cable the galleria app might start so you can review the image, the mask will help you know when focus is right.

Archived