Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What DSLR Camera ?

Hi all . .

I need a bit of advise. . i've got a budget But i need to buy a DSLR Camera. I would like a canon 350D or something close. But there are a couple of really good priced DSLR's out the such as a Sony A200. . But does it really matter??

Luke

Hi Luke,

but can you still get a Sony or something like modded?

As far as I know, the short answer is no. The long answer is:

You can remove the filter to allow the full spectrum through, but a filter is essential to allow the autofocus to operate correctly. Therefore, after filter removal, the camera will essentially be a manual focus camera for ordinary photography. So far, there are no readily available replacement filters for Sony sensors.

I chose a Sony for a number of personal reasons. If you're starting from scratch and wish to do astrophotography with your new DSLR, go Canon. They offer better dark response, are readily modded, and in short are tried, tested and LOVED amongst astrophotographers.

Also, as Craig points out, Canons are easy to control using a laptop. Sony's don't offer this.

If you are not intending to do any astro-imaging, you will NOT be disappointed with a Sony. In fact, even if you are doing it, you might not be disappointed either - I just don't know yet as I haven't had a chance to try. Keep your eyes peeled for its "first dark" result.

Any more questions about Sony's cameras, go ahead. I've spend quite long enough researching them!

The sony would be more problematic as the IS system is built into the camera body...

Billy, in what respect might it be a problem that the IS is built in?

Andrew

The delicate mechaism around the ccd...would possibly make modding even more of a "professional" job...

Thats all...

I have a KM5D predecessor of the latest Sony's and it had better spectral response than the un-modded Nikon D200 or Canon 350D only think is it was really noisy compared to both...

Previous gen though and supposedly Sony and Nikon are using the same CCD's now.

The latest Gen ones are supposed to give canon a run for their money in low light...

Billy...

Andrew,

The IS built into the body means that it might try to correct while you've got it hooked up to the scope, not the lens. Admittedly you might think this is good, but as the scope is going to be stable while its being exposed it might actually cause vibrations or "shakes" as it overcompensates, ironically. This is from what I understand with the old Canon IS system when it was on a tripod.

You can probably turn the IS system off though, I'm sure. I haven't experienced any of the built-in IS systems.

Don't mean to steal Billy's steam, but he did post before me in the other camera thread currently going on now.

EDIT: OMG! He beat me again this one.

Kurt

:undecided::) Well you're talking about different aspects of it, so it's okay!

The delicate mechaism around the ccd...would possibly make modding even more of a "professional" job...

Oh, I see, I thought you meant about generally using it for imaging. That makes sense. However, I would only ever have it done professionally rather than trying to do it myself.

The IS built into the body means that it might try to correct while you've got it hooked up to the scope, not the lens. Admittedly you might think this is good, but as the scope is going to be stable while its being exposed it might actually cause vibrations or "shakes" as it overcompensates, ironically. This is from what I understand with the old Canon IS system when it was on a tripod.

Hmmm.... you could be right! We'll see about that. You can turn it off very easily, so I'll try with it off as well. But I imagine the vibrations would be tiny...

Cheers

Andrew

I was testing an Olympus E510 around a year back this has IS within the body and one of the tests was to shoot with a tripod with the IS turned on and some but not all shots were blurred i also tried some astro shots on a EQ mount for about 30 secs and most of the ones with IS turned on Blurred also, my nikon D60 has IS or VR as they call it built into the lens and my tests with tracked astro shots showed no difference if on or off and i dont have to worry if i connect to a scope via T.ring as no Body IS.

hth Mick

The sony would be more problematic as the IS system is built into the camera body...

Sorry thats not true.. in fact its an advantage if the IS or AS system is built into the body.

I use a samsung GX 10, this has the Anti shake or image stabilisation built into the body, its not only easy to turn off, but also useful as I can enter the focal length of the scope and it will compensate for any shake whilst an image is being taken, very handy if you should slightly knock the mount leg or there is a strong breeze.

PS. Decide what you want the DSLR for primarily.

If you just want it for astro use.. go for a canon.. preferably a later one with live view.

If you primarily want to use it for photography and also astro images occasionally then other makes should be looked at as well.

The samsung is no slouch and can certainly hold its own next to a 400D photographically, it also has the bonus that as its a re badged Pentax K10D it will accept any pentax lenses, including old manual or screw fit ones, lenses tend to be cheaper in pentax AF fit as well.. you can also get a right angle finder that fits cheap from ebay and the canon all singing and dancing remote can also be obtained from ebay in pentax fit (works great for automating exposures)

Oh I forgot to mention its also weather sealed so a little moisture in the air doesnt bother it at all.

With that remote I can set mine up to take any set of subs I choose then retire to the warmth whilst it does its thing.

I use a Minolta Dynax 7D which hasn't caused me any problems yet. The reason I use it is that my Dad gave it to me! It takes very good data in my opinion. I've never thought about the IS. I've just checked the body and it's 'on' so I suppose I must have had it on for all my imaging.

Here's a couple of images with it. I'm at the 'shoot and hope' stage of imaging so I reckon the camera isn't bad.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,32948.0.html

Archived