Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 from Kelling

Dave Smith

At last I have some time (Revision for OU Geology exam last Mon) to start processing my Kelling images. This is the first.

30 x 60s subs taken with a Canon 40D and Canon 200mm f2.8 lens, stacked in DSS and processed in CS2

Incidentally I originally tried Deep Sky Stacker when it first came out, but abandoned it as it didn't make a very good job with many of my images. I thus went for Images Plus. This week I found that it would not accept raw images from my 40D (It was OK with my 20Da) and as I am reluctant to upgrade to the latest version had another try of DSS. What a pleasant surprise - it is so much improved and very easy to use - and FREE!!

Dave

post-14654-133877347953_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all of your encouraging comments. I am pleased with the result especially the focussing which is much easier with a 40D compared with a 20Da which I used last year.

The exam was for S260 and was quite fair but somewhat unusual. I know that I have mucked up some of the simple questions so am keeping my fingers crossed. It's back to astronomy next year (already done S282 and S283) with a week in Majorca doing SXR208.

Dave

Thank you for all of your encouraging comments. I am pleased with the result especially the focussing which is much easier with a 40D compared with a 20Da which I used last year.

The exam was for S260 and was quite fair but somewhat unusual. I know that I have mucked up some of the simple questions so am keeping my fingers crossed. It's back to astronomy next year (already done S282 and S283) with a week in Majorca doing SXR208.

Dave

Lucky you! I start 282 in Feb, looking forward to it. It's the last 'old' 260 next year so was going to do that instead but decided to wait for the new course to pan out. Did you know they are rehashing the level three astrophysics stuff?

Lucky you! I start 282 in Feb, looking forward to it. It's the last 'old' 260 next year so was going to do that instead but decided to wait for the new course to pan out. Did you know they are rehashing the level three astrophysics stuff?

I thoroughly enjoyed S282 although the cosmology bends your mind a bit. I hadn't planned on a third level course but you never know.

Dave

Archived