Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to convert manual mount to computerized mount

Articunos

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Faced with a similar problem, I elected to get a complete Celestron C8SE outfit with alt-azimuth GoTo. (used).  Even used, that might be more than you want to spend, but it was a worthwhile upgrade.   It might be time for a re-think on your choice of telescope and mount type (alt-azimuth or equatorial?)  Why a f4 8 inch? For visual use a f5 or f6 would be more usual.

An alternative would be to ask your dealer if he will take the manual mount back and supply a GoTo one at extra cost. 

I want to get into photography also, but since I just bought my scope 2 months back, I want to do visual first, then photography.

But now monsoon has begun in India and I cannot use my scope at all for at least 3 months more because of the cloud cover

The one thing I haven’t seen yet in this thread is confirmation that the gear ratio is the same as a standard EQ5. I guess it probably is but I just thought there ought to be a disclaimer. That wouldn't be a problem, I don’t think, with AstroEq as it is customisable but the other upgrade options might not work as expected. Also I’ve seen you keep asking about the Bresser upgrade but, from another thread I saw, I think there are problems with connecting that to a computer.

Recently my friend updated his Bresser EXOS-II with the GOTO kit. It cost him Rs. 45,000 or something. The EQ5/similar mounts are really not suitable for 8 inch scopes+accessories. I'd recommend you upgrade to a better GOTO mount by investing arounf Rs. 1,50,000 approx (IOptron IEQ45-PRO)

1 hour ago, astrosathya said:

Recently my friend updated his Bresser EXOS-II with the GOTO kit. It cost him Rs. 45,000 or something. The EQ5/similar mounts are really not suitable for 8 inch scopes+accessories. I'd recommend you upgrade to a better GOTO mount by investing arounf Rs. 1,50,000 approx (IOptron IEQ45-PRO)

That mount is out of my budget(iOptron  IEQ45-PRO)

How good is the Bresser GOTO kit, according to your friend?

21 hours ago, Articunos said:

That mount is out of my budget(iOptron  IEQ45-PRO)

How good is the Bresser GOTO kit, according to your friend?

He installed it last week. As you know, skies have been really bad. He did test it and said pointing is alright. But he is an absolute beginner with no experience in astrophotography, which I am guessing is your case too?

4 hours ago, astrosathya said:

He installed it last week. As you know, skies have been really bad. He did test it and said pointing is alright. But he is an absolute beginner with no experience in astrophotography, which I am guessing is your case too?

I owned a 70mm refractor before this on a Alt-Az mount.But I have never been into astrophotography.

I don't want a new mount.I just want to upgrade my existing mount 

That's for a Losmandy mount, and yours is a generic EQ5 so I doubt it will fit\work without major reworking....

As already said, search\wait for a second hand one to come up, that has the facilities you want, then you can sell yours.

In the end, it will be much easier, to have something that starts out working....

15 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

That's for a Losmandy mount, and yours is a generic EQ5 so I doubt it will fit\work without major reworking....

As already said, search\wait for a second hand one to come up, that has the facilities you want, then you can sell yours.

In the end, it will be much easier, to have something that starts out working....

From what I read it is a DIY system that can be adapted to most mounts a bit like Astro Eq but more versatile as it can work on Alt/Az mounts.

OnStep is a computerized goto system for stepper motor equipped mounts. It was designed, from the beginning, as a more or less general purpose system and provisions were made in the firmware to allow for use on a variety of mounts including Equatorial (GEM, Fork, etc.) and Alt/Az (Dobsonian, etc.)

I’ve got Astro Eq on a Vixen GP and it works fine. I blew a stepper driver recently by causing a short when adjusting the current to the stepper motor and just ordered another for a few £ off eBay. If I lived somewhere where it’s apparently difficult to get hold of Astro gear (and consequently parts) I’d be going down the DIY route for sure.

1 hour ago, Articunos said:

From what I see in this video, Onstep doesn't require a PC to be connected all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqXqYb8Df78

So that will make it much more convenient to use.

If I start tracking with astroeq and disconnect the pc it keeps tracking. I think you still need a pc to kick things off each session though and I’d be surprised if the onstep didn’t need similar.

OnStep can optionally be configured to start tracking when powered up.

A build with Wifi (by addon ESP8266) can use Android or iOS phone/tablet to control (via custom Android App or web site.)  Bluetooth and the Android App are a second option but no iOS in that case.  Wifi has the website and an IP channel so connections from PCs Windows/OSX/Linux/etc. are supported.

Optionally a smart hand controller (SHC) with display can be built and things controlled from there (soon to be the best option, as firmware for it is still being worked on... though it adds to the cost a bit.)  Cheap to buy EasyEDA PCB and a 3D printed case design are available for this.  I use the SHC now since it's so much more convenient than a cell-phone... plugs into any OnStep ST4 port and does some fancy tricks to make a data connection (also powered from the ST4 port.) 

Any of the above can be used to start tracking/align, setup, park, etc, etc.  Object catalogs (Bright Star, Messier, Herschel400, Planets, etc.) are available in the Android App and SHC.

The lowest cost/easiest build OnStep is by using a 3D printer RAMPS kit.  OnStep can be configured for full control of one of those including all 5 stepper drivers (two telescope axes and two focusers and a rotator control.)  It also can control dew heater/accessory on,off using the RAMPS MOSFET heater drivers.  The MKS Gen-L all in one (Mega2560+RAMPS) is probably the best low cost option since it has a crystal oscillator and supports 24V to the stepper driver section.

More advanced hardware etc. exist too, just scratching the surface here.

https://groups.io/g/onstep/wiki/home

1 hour ago, Articunos said:

Which is better in all aspects(Tracking,Goto accuracy,control,ease of use,etc)?

AstroEQ or OnStep?

I've only used AstroEQ but would imagine tracking and goto is very similar between them and is to some degree dependant on the mount and additional hardware chosen (stepper motor torque and resolution coming to mind). AstroEq functions through Eqmod and is quite a mature, reliable, platform but it does have it's limitations as it really needs a PC running Eqmod whereas Onstep seems, from what I've seen, to be able to function with tablets and phones. 

I guess I have looked at all the DIY options.

Will the Skywatcher EQ-5 upgrade kit work on my mount?

As shown in this video,the RA motor is in the same place as in my mount.However the DEC motor is not there in my mount as shown in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yYAg8zZCDw

Also,the guy in the video does not show himself removing the DEC motor.Or did I miss it somewhere?

I think it is in the same place. It might just be orientated in a different direction.

That was a Vixen GP he was fitting it to which is the "mother" of all the cloned mounts out there as it is the design they are based on. Each clone is slightly different usually with manufacturers cutting costs to save on materials. Because of this the motors from one brand sometimes need a shim or something to give the correct spacing and fit. One thing every Vixen GP clone I've ever seen has is the same gear ratio so aside from a slight adjustment to the mechanical spacing they should all fit each other. My only reservation is that I haven't come across your brand of EQ5 before but I would think it unlikely that a manufacturer of a budget mount would go to the trouble of redesigning the motor gearing ratios so I expect they will be fine. There are, however, no guarantees!

Had you seen the AstroEQ set up for sale on here... you could ask if they would ship to you for additional cost (still much cheaper than buying the SW upgrade)... 

Archived