Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2018_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a4fa178de7d36660e48f7eb1205319eb.jpg

Articunos

How to convert manual mount to computerized mount

11 minutes ago, Articunos said:

So can I conclude that the SkyWatcher upgrade kit won't work on my mount?

And can you explain what did you mean by modifying the mount or the motors?

Either you will have to modify the mount in someway to accept the new motors or modify the motors to fit the existing motor mounts.

6 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Either you will have to modify the mount in someway to accept the new motors or modify the motors to fit the existing motor mounts.

I mean what kind of modification?Do I have to drill a hole?

Do you have some pictures of the motors that come with the SkyWatcher upgrade kit?

Here is a guide I created while adding the Goto kit to my standard HEQ5, to add the Pro functionality.

Maybe the pictures will help you. But the EQ5 mount and kit are different.

Cheers

Ant

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Here is a guide I created while adding the Goto kit to my standard HEQ5, to add the Pro functionality.

Maybe the pictures will help you. But the EQ5 mount and kit are different.

Cheers

Ant

Thanks for the guide.

However, my mount is totally different from what is shown in your pictures

From what I can see from your pictures, and as you will be replacing the existing motors, if no mounting brackets are supplied as part of the kit, then you will have to make some brackets, to attach the motors to your mount.

I used 50mm x 50mm, 3mm aluminium angle, as can be seen from the photos I posted...

7 hours ago, Articunos said:

Thanks for the guide.

However, my mount is totally different from what is shown in your pictures

I get that. But you specifically asked for pictures of the motors in the sky watcher upgrade kit - that guide shows pictures of the motors in the sky watcher upgrade kit.

Ant

15 hours ago, Ant said:

I get that. But you specifically asked for pictures of the motors in the sky watcher upgrade kit - that guide shows pictures of the motors in the sky watcher upgrade kit.

Ant

Can you send me dimensions of the motors?

So I can just cross-check with my mount?

On 04/08/2018 at 18:43, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Marked in blue are the screws which I think you have used to mount the DEC and RA motors.

Correct me if I am wrong

MotorMounting1.thumb.png.903092680aee4c7d9a8e95261c55-1.jpg.f62f62d3df1d987413eaea14ab44ea12.jpg

There are actually 4 of each axis, and yes the 'silver' metal are the angle brackets. As can be seen from the pictures below, the brackets have an additional block that slides in the mount, enabling the belt to be tensioned. The connectors that you see glued on, are standard RJ11 sockets (4 way) which makes it easy to cable up using standard landline telephone cables, here in the UK, don't know about where you are... 

IMG_2018_08_10_1281.JPG

IMG_2018_08_10_1284.JPG

I have not yet been able to unscrew the existing motors on my mounts,because the screws are way too tight.Maybe my mount also has motor brackets but they are very tight so a bit difficult to remove.

Anyway,I guess I am going to choose OnStep,since there is no guarantee that the SkyWatcher or Bresser upgrades would work on my mount.

I would still search the internet for more options,but I will begin work on OnStep(if there is no other option) in December.

Plus,I can also use apps like Stellarium and SkySafari 5 Pro to control my telescope with OnStep.

One more general question which I have is:

If an EQ Goto mount is not properly polar aligned,then does the object after sometime drift out of the field of view(when tracking is on)?

"If an EQ Goto mount is not properly polar aligned,then does the object after sometime drift out of the field of view(when tracking is on)?" 

Yes. How badly polar-aligned determines how quickly it drifts. 

NB - even an accurately polar-aligned EQ5 will slowly drift. Hence me only being able to take 120-second exposures so I don't get star trails.