SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to convert manual mount to computerized mount

Articunos

11 minutes ago, Articunos said:

So can I conclude that the SkyWatcher upgrade kit won't work on my mount?

And can you explain what did you mean by modifying the mount or the motors?

Either you will have to modify the mount in someway to accept the new motors or modify the motors to fit the existing motor mounts.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Either you will have to modify the mount in someway to accept the new motors or modify the motors to fit the existing motor mounts.

I mean what kind of modification?Do I have to drill a hole?

Do you have some pictures of the motors that come with the SkyWatcher upgrade kit?

Here is a guide I created while adding the Goto kit to my standard HEQ5, to add the Pro functionality.

Maybe the pictures will help you. But the EQ5 mount and kit are different.

Cheers

Ant

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Here is a guide I created while adding the Goto kit to my standard HEQ5, to add the Pro functionality.

Maybe the pictures will help you. But the EQ5 mount and kit are different.

Cheers

Ant

Thanks for the guide.

However, my mount is totally different from what is shown in your pictures

From what I can see from your pictures, and as you will be replacing the existing motors, if no mounting brackets are supplied as part of the kit, then you will have to make some brackets, to attach the motors to your mount.

I used 50mm x 50mm, 3mm aluminium angle, as can be seen from the photos I posted...

7 hours ago, Articunos said:

Thanks for the guide.

However, my mount is totally different from what is shown in your pictures

I get that. But you specifically asked for pictures of the motors in the sky watcher upgrade kit - that guide shows pictures of the motors in the sky watcher upgrade kit.

Ant

15 hours ago, Ant said:

I get that. But you specifically asked for pictures of the motors in the sky watcher upgrade kit - that guide shows pictures of the motors in the sky watcher upgrade kit.

Ant

Can you send me dimensions of the motors?

So I can just cross-check with my mount?

There are actually 4 of each axis, and yes the 'silver' metal are the angle brackets. As can be seen from the pictures below, the brackets have an additional block that slides in the mount, enabling the belt to be tensioned. The connectors that you see glued on, are standard RJ11 sockets (4 way) which makes it easy to cable up using standard landline telephone cables, here in the UK, don't know about where you are... 

IMG_2018_08_10_1281.JPG

IMG_2018_08_10_1284.JPG

I have not yet been able to unscrew the existing motors on my mounts,because the screws are way too tight.Maybe my mount also has motor brackets but they are very tight so a bit difficult to remove.

Anyway,I guess I am going to choose OnStep,since there is no guarantee that the SkyWatcher or Bresser upgrades would work on my mount.

I would still search the internet for more options,but I will begin work on OnStep(if there is no other option) in December.

Plus,I can also use apps like Stellarium and SkySafari 5 Pro to control my telescope with OnStep.

One more general question which I have is:

If an EQ Goto mount is not properly polar aligned,then does the object after sometime drift out of the field of view(when tracking is on)?

"If an EQ Goto mount is not properly polar aligned,then does the object after sometime drift out of the field of view(when tracking is on)?" 

Yes. How badly polar-aligned determines how quickly it drifts. 

NB - even an accurately polar-aligned EQ5 will slowly drift. Hence me only being able to take 120-second exposures so I don't get star trails. 

On 15/08/2018 at 23:42, adyj1 said:

"If an EQ Goto mount is not properly polar aligned,then does the object after sometime drift out of the field of view(when tracking is on)?" 

Yes. How badly polar-aligned determines how quickly it drifts. 

NB - even an accurately polar-aligned EQ5 will slowly drift. Hence me only being able to take 120-second exposures so I don't get star trails. 

Even if the mount is aligned with the drift alignment method,will the object drift?

3 hours ago, Articunos said:

Even if the mount is aligned with the drift alignment method,will the object drift?

Polar alignment and drift alignment are two ways of achieving the same thing... You could replace 'polar' with 'drift' in my post and it would be the same meaning. 

But do bear in mind Dr Ju-ju's statement: all mounts drift eventually no matter how well they are aligned - normally the cheaper the mount the sooner it drifts... 

Just to give an alternative answer to Dr Ju-ju; yes, if you are looking to do 'serious' astrophotography. I manage between 60s and 120s exposures with my Skywatcher EQ5 without guiding (and the additional cost which comes with it). I run a 150PDS though; a bigger rig  would probably not be as stable. 

Just to add, If you aren't guiding it does mean having to tweak the RA axis every so often (in between exposures) to bring the object back into the centre. (I do this automatically with APT software and goto++ platesolving.)

• 2 weeks later...

I started a topic on OnStep groups but I forgot to share the link:

https://groups.io/g/onstep/topic/does_onstep_work_with_any/24238776?p=Created,,,20,1,0,0

Thanks for helping me out everybody.Since I will begin work on OnStep in December,there is still a lot of time,so if I have any doubts I will ask them here.

If anybody has any suggestions or any other GoTo upgrade, please inform me.

Again thanks everybody for helping me out!

?

Archived