Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Huge satellite .

Mick.G.

I started getting the gear out about 6.45 tonight,well once in place(being inspired by starman's pick of the Moon last night) I thought I'd have a look.

I hadn't been looking for more than a minuet or so, when the largest satellite came straight through the glow of the moon ,through Taurus,over the top of Orion then the foot of Gemini....It started to fade by this time & then changed to a glorious orange red.Then completely vanished.

Although it was very large I couldn't make any solar panels out,ISS? not sure.

I'm just wondering if any of you saw it.Great view's.

Mick :laugh: :laugh:

As part of my other hobby I have often received the signals from the weather satellites whilst their footprint was accessable and then decoded it with various programs that are available on the net for free you get some pretty spectacular images of europe at times

here is a link for the beginners guide to program called wx sat its pretty easy to set up

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wxsatellite/guide.htm

typically you want a radio receiver that will able to receive about around 130MHz through to 165 MHz for weather Sat's "Noah " on AM and FM or NBFM for instance Noah 17 has a downlink frequency of 137.620 APT you cannot fail to notice its constant transmission stream of data that you can save in a program called Satscape that tracks in real time just about every satellite that is up in orbit still heres a link for that download

http://www.satscape.co.uk

a lot of good used stuff out there receiver wise cheap enough that kind of receiver will let you have not just weather Sat's but a whole lot more including the 2metre amateur radio band

try satscape though and keep getting its keps updated for all realtime observing you may wish to do I have observed the space station through binos quite often in the past you also get a iridium flare predictor much like the one on heavens above site. just checked on it for the latest position of suitsat you may remember they kicked it launched it from the isss a few weeks back :laugh:

its all good fun

Archived