Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with 450D and Astrophotography tool please

hey folks ,

just been outside setting everything up .

polarscope reticule set,finder scope aligned,collimation done.  Great :)

so fit eye piece and get a distant chimney pot in focus. Lovelly :)

swap for 450D, refocus,connect to APT, click live view, chinmey pot in view :)

click start on my test plan ive done ( a few snaps to test ), APT says please switch camera control to M.

Switch to M click start to run the test plan in APT , all I get are totally white frames. Shows up totally white in Live view as well .

Any ideas please ?

yes, check EXP time and ISO.  Especially at this time of year, long, hi iso exposures will white out quite easily - theres a histogram in APT, under tools menu; is it all over over to the right?

6 minutes ago, PaulR1 said:

exposure time i set to 2 seconds , ISO 200 , in the histogram with live view checked I see some very thin white lines all the way to the right.

You'd need to be exposing a lot less than that.  Try 1/200 for starters.

ok, well that should not overexpose unless its daylight :), and you checked that APT is set to the right 'digic' mode (digic3)?  there's also the 'shoot' button, but you have to put in the exposure time in the lower section for that.  maybe you opened the rgb settings tool and set it to auto stretch?

Just now, mikeyj1 said:

ok, well that should not overexpose unless its daylight :), and you checked that APT is set to the right 'digic' mode (digic3)?  there's also the 'shoot' button, but you have to put in the exposure time in the lower section for that.  maybe you opened the rgb settings tool and set it to auto stretch?

I read from his post that he is outside now, so I think it's daylight

it is daylight here and very bright daylight.

ive not done any stretching in APT as far as I know .

Im pretty noob at photography of any sort so this does look like I over exposed. ?

Battery gone flat now so will have another go in an hour or so :)

Just now, tooth_dr said:

so I think it's daylight

Lol, and sunny, well 1/250 or 1/500 should be max then, take a picture on auto and see what the settings are.. then set manual mode to the same..

No sure on the 450 but I would be setting iso to 800 for ap. In the daytime try .5 or less. Also on the histograph click the arrow in the bottom right and adjust the white level to the right.

Mark.

I have a XSi (450D) , when outside in daylight 2 secs gives you nothing but white image . I shoot 800ISO with 1000-1500 SSPD and if it's extremely bright higher than that and sometimes in extreme brightness i'll drop to 200ISO . Night images are different , there I use bulb or slower than 1-sec . 

Archived