SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Counterweight woes

I've mounted my new G3-16200 camera on my tiny little WO71 for testing this camera before my big RC arrives, but obviously this monstrosity comes with a weight problem. So, I need some way of counter balancing it on the front end, but I'm not sure what is the best way to go about it. Ideas are massively welcomed, especially if I can order something ready to use and not have to mess around with it too much.

I can't move the scope any further forward because of the attachments of the focus motor.

619237857_2018-06-0214_17_10.thumb.jpg.3ca57845954f4e35d1c0332c14a88e94.jpg

2004575998_2018-06-0214_17_18.thumb.jpg.be238ec09a829cf2230be5521a60bc81.jpg

Only thing that I can think of would be longer dovetail bar + counter weight that has dovetail connection - something like this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p752_Baader-Balance-Weight-1kg-with-Vixen-Level-Clamb.html

You need longer dovetail to make it stick at the front so you can mount above counterweight. I use one like that on my RC for balancing purposes - RCs are back heavy and with all gear attached even moving it forward on mounting does not solve the problem. This counterweight deals with it nicely (I use it as depicted on link provided).

I used to put it on front ring at the top, because such counterweight has 1/4" thread (or is it 3/8", I'm not good with imperial system - one that is used on cameras not tripods, smaller one). But the problem that I've found with small refractor and that combination is that rings have metric hole, and thread is imperial so it's not perfect match and since it is quite a bit of weight - it tends to eat into thread.

I have just had this precise problem and I solved it by changing the Losmandy rail from 7” to 11” and then using a losmandy clamp mounted a load of 0.5kgs weights off the front.

From what you say, you only want this for testing.

So I am guessing this also means you really do not want to spend time and money in doing this?

I would suggest borrownig some kitchen weights and taping them to the OTA. To avoid leaving marks, first wrap something around the OTA and then attach the weights to that, the weights from a kitchen balance should be enough. Failing that, a small(ish) hammer taped on should also be enough.

Good luck

Gordon

39 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

You can rotate the focuser to the top

I must admit I feel like a complete daft idiot for not thinking about that one. Doesn't completely solve the problem, but definitely makes it a lot smaller.

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Only thing that I can think of would be longer dovetail bar + counter weight that has dovetail connection - something like this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p752_Baader-Balance-Weight-1kg-with-Vixen-Level-Clamb.html

You need longer dovetail to make it stick at the front so you can mount above counterweight. I use one like that on my RC for balancing purposes - RCs are back heavy and with all gear attached even moving it forward on mounting does not solve the problem. This counterweight deals with it nicely (I use it as depicted on link provided).

I used to put it on front ring at the top, because such counterweight has 1/4" thread (or is it 3/8", I'm not good with imperial system - one that is used on cameras not tripods, smaller one). But the problem that I've found with small refractor and that combination is that rings have metric hole, and thread is imperial so it's not perfect match and since it is quite a bit of weight - it tends to eat into thread.

That thing you linked looks spot on perfect. Once I have seen the extent of the problem with the rotated focuser and moving the camera forwards, I will see what I need.

40 minutes ago, Bukko said:

I would suggest borrownig some kitchen weights and taping them to the OTA. To avoid leaving marks, first wrap something around the OTA and then attach the weights to that, the weights from a kitchen balance should be enough. Failing that, a small(ish) hammer taped on should also be enough.

I thought about this, but the fear of one coming loose and ramming the camera stopped me.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

If it's only temporary, drill a bar to fit your tube ring tapped holes on the top then tie wrap any old weight to it to get your balance. When I put a heavy camera on a 4" refractor, the solution was something similar, but rather better engineered.IMG_0184.thumb.JPG.a79942921135a766367bb0e00d799aaf.JPG

I did as I said, it wasn't quite enough. I ziptied 2*1.25kg weights on front of the scope just for the evening, but I have an order from Amazon coming tomorrow with 2kg ankle weights I'll wrap around the tube. Will double as a dew shield. ?

That camera is a monster, though. I got the enhanced cooling version with an external filter wheel, so the total weight is somewhere around 3.5 kg.

Archived