Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

24.3% illuminated Moon

Stu

Having been out at a small garden party for the wedding today I popped the scopes out when I got home to have a look at the sun in white light and Ha. White light was pretty plain, apart from a nice patch of faculae towards the limb. Ha was more interesting, a few nice proms around and some interest going on on the surface.

Anyway, you didn’t come here to hear about solar! Once the sun had set, a quick change of kit and I was setup to Binoview the moon which is currently at 24.3% phase and looking very nice against the still blue sky. A neodymium filer helped with contrast and I had some beautiful views before my dinner. Hoping for another quick look afterwards against a darker sky, but some nice features were showing even in daylight, not least a golden balloon that drifted across as I watched.

Most prominent to me was a bright crater near Mare Crisium called, I believe, Proclus. The thin edge of the crater Yerkes looked almost like a rille. All the features identified on the attached chart were visible, I think I covered most if not all of them.

Also highlighted were the tiny beads separated from the limb, peaks illuminated by the sun, and the crater Fracastorius which was delicate right on the terminator. The Pyrenees mountains are nicely illuminated and very clear.

I believe the libration was different to this diagram because I was able to clearly see more towards the limb and the angle of the craters appeared more open. Fascinating to see this effect.

Thats all for now, great views, worth a look if you are out.

EDIT Just popped out for another look and whilst the contrast was much better, the seeing had gone to pot, probably the heat of the day rising up into the cool clear sky.

3C5E0B00-0692-4947-9EA5-21FB11FBA073.png

3CC25132-BEEA-4FB5-B080-E440C86637DC.jpeg

Nice report Stu :smiley:

I've been looking at just the same target with my Tak FC100 this evening. Messier and Messier A, one of my favourite targets on the moon are really nicely illuminated.

Very nice phase !

Thanks both. Hitting the sack now but had one more look before packing away and the seeing had improved significantly.

Really nice views, binoviewing and just about getting full disk in but still at decent mag. As @John says, Messier & Messier A are looking lovely, and I think I’m right in saying Rupes Cauchy on Mare Tranquillitatis is also nicely illuminated. So many other nice features too numerous to mention. A relatively short but enjoyable session.

Hello all. Been out myself for while with my Borg Achro. The seeing I have found to be very steady.

Testing out my new to me Tal 2xbarlow. 

Noticed a mark on the Sea of Tranquility I think that looks similar to the Straight Wall. Guess I’m just catching this due to the shadow being just right. 

Pretty sure my eyes aren’t deceiving me. No alcohol consumed BTW 

John 

9 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Noticed a mark on the Sea of Tranquility I think that looks similar to the Straight Wall. Guess I’m just catching this due to the shadow being just right. 

John, I’m pretty sure that this is Rupes Cauchy which I mentioned in my report, appearing as a straightish line in the Sea of Tranquility. As you say, I think the phase was just right to catch it.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

John, I’m pretty sure that this is Rupes Cauchy which I mentioned in my report, appearing as a straightish line in the Sea of Tranquility. As you say, I think the phase was just right to catch it.

Thank you Stu. I was really chuffed I came across it and you were good enough to confirm.  Was transfixed for a while as was unsure if the eyes were indeceieve mode.  Lol

john 

18 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Thank you Stu. I was really chuffed I came across it and you were good enough to confirm.  Was transfixed for a while as was unsure if the eyes were indeceieve mode.  Lol

john 

Managed to find it on a Moon app. It only appears at certain illuminations, disappearing in the second image when I changed the phase. I enhanced the first one a little but it is centre of the image.

You can also see Messier and Messier A in the bottom left which were visible last night.

BC851D93-84F6-472A-B5AB-BBE062EC2316.jpeg

E7104A65-0759-49C9-8B5D-71ED53834156.png

1B1F3E32-43CA-4398-AB19-C36FC8612C14.jpeg

Archived