NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dreaming of Horses

Beyond_Vision

This capture was started off around 4.00am Thursday morning I left my setup running went back to sleep and woke up at 6.00am to find the last few frames had started to wash out due to the dawn glow. I then set the rig taking darks and went back to bed :) . The satellite images that night were so clear it was nice to be able to cat nap between objects without the worry of impending clouds and rain :)

I would like to get some more data just to smooth out the noise and lift out the fainter stuff and get some more detail in the striations above the Horse. :)

Taken with a APM TMB 105, Televue 0.8 FF/FR, QHY8 CCD and guided with a 102mm Bresser/DSI-II using PHD. Exposure 25 x 5 mins subs stacked in DSS Log(Sqr Root) curves applied, Dynamic Background Extraction in Pix Insight LE and finished in PSCS3 with Noels Actions.

9235_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The qhy8 is really starting to earn its keep now then Kevin. Nice shot and nicely framed. I do have a question though, and it regards the noise, is it noise from light pollution? It cant be from the camera can it? as i thought the whole point of a ccd was noise free imaging? How much longer will it need do you think to smooth it out?

Cheers

Tim

The qhy8 is really starting to earn its keep now then Kevin. Nice shot and nicely framed. I do have a question though, and it regards the noise, is it noise from light pollution? It cant be from the camera can it? as i thought the whole point of a ccd was noise free imaging? How much longer will it need do you think to smooth it out?

Cheers

Tim

You will always get some noise even with a cooled CCD camera. If you aggresively stretch an image you will bring out the noise and some of the fainter stuff which is buried at in the noise margin. It's also a relative thing you may find that the CMOS 400D sensor has less noise than an uncooled version of the QHY8 sensor (same chip as in the Nikon D40 I think). But when cooled the QHY8 will perfom better than the 400D.

Regards

Kevin

Archived