SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What's your favourite Hubble image?

RobertI

I stumbled across this amazing image of the Tadpole Galaxy (ARP 188) from the HST, it's just so full of 'action'; the seething vortex of the galaxy itself, the tidal tails 'pouring' over the edge of the galaxy like waterfalls, even the smaller galaxy at the bottom appears to have a jet emanating from the core.

Do people have their own favourites?

TadpoleGalaxyPS1V9snyder.thumb.jpg.6d0e70dcf22ebe042af0dfbcd8d91f31.jpg

Full image and description can be found here.

As far as I am aware believe NASA images are free to use for non-commericial purposes so can be posted here.

7 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

For me it's the Deep field image. It's fun to get the full resolution image and try to count the number of galaxies in the image. 

Yes, that is a mindblowing image, I love it too. I often show this to people when I feel they need a sense of perspective. ?

Yep! Hubble Ultra Deep Field for me too. Not only is it beautiful, but just start to contemplate the numbers to have your mind stretched to near breaking point. 10,000 galaxies with the oldest going back to 800 million years after the big bang. Staggering!

Archived