The Sun 6th May 2018

David Smith

16 hours ago, Stu said:

Lovely detail in those Dave. I can see three black spots in the larger AR, not something I recall seeing in CaK before?

Stu,  in Ca-k images increasingly intense magnetic fields show a's progressively brighter / lighter areas but the most intense field's still show as black / dark areas. So you will still see "spots" similar to what you see in white light. My experience is that the spot in Ca-K tends to be smaller in size than the equivalent white light spot 

3 minutes ago, David Smith said:

Stu,  in Ca-k images increasingly intense magnetic fields show a's progressively brighter / lighter areas but the most intense field's still show as black / dark areas. So you will still see "spots" similar to what you see in white light. My experience is that the spot in Ca-K tends to be smaller in size than the equivalent white light spot 

Thanks Dave, very interesting.

Archived