Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

North American, pelican etc with night vision at 1x

GavStar

So far I’ve only really used Night Vision with my scopes. However the Americans rave about using the monoculars on their own st 1x magnification and a 40 degree fov.

I decided to give this a proper go this evening. I have to say I’m rather impressed. Some lovely views of the North American, pelican and gamma Cygni nebulae. Lots of h alpha around that area.

Here’s a phone pic. The Veil is hiding behind the house so I hope to get this later ?

A5399149-4F22-4CEC-8D04-37CDCFB90921.jpeg

So here’s some more phone pics from this evenings 1x NV observing. 

1) North American, pelican and gamma Cygni but with the Veil coming out to play as well. You have to look for the Veil (it’s a bit of a small object ??) but the eastern section is clear and you can also see pickerings triangle - western section is not clear at all. So less halpha in the Veil than the North American it seems.

2) Then we have a full shot of the gamma Cygni region - it’s very extensive...

3) The pair of the elephant’s trunk nebulae and the North American 

4) The final one is (I think) NGC 7822 and Ced 214

135F11F9-75E2-48F8-B6E4-48A1A6FEB94E.jpeg

FC374BE4-5163-4522-B1EE-A130C76B1D8E.jpeg

DC58463A-BED1-40E1-9F30-5B335F2FB86B.jpeg

29E27E08-BB3D-4855-8ECF-2A9FBD429D89.jpeg

1 hour ago, pipnina said:

How do you go about getting/using night vision (esp with scopes)

I hear it is very restrictive to get night vision gear outside the U.S.

There’s been quite a few threads regarding night vision over the past few months. It is readily available in Europe now but unfortunately very expensive.

If you search on night vision on SGL you will find lots of information.

Here’s one recent example.

@jetstream are you seeing if @GavStarcan spy sharpless 91. I think it will need a bit of scale as it is quite thin.

you have got sh129 in the ic1395 shot, but sh119 is not very visible. I find the western veil much harder than the east. 

Youbare spit on with image 4), a surprisingly bright and interesting pair of objects that are hardly ever imaged, let alone observed!

Looking forward to the longer nights of early autumn, when you won’t have to stay up so late??

PEterW

16 hours ago, jetstream said:

Can you see whats right near Albireo Gavin? I'm curious what shows up.

Will have a look next time Gerry. As Peter says, some come out surprisingly bright with NV and others such as the western bit of the Veil are a bit disappointing.

So I tried to replicate the 1x view of the North American and gamma Cygni nebula from my back garden in London tonight. They are visible but no comparison to the Isle of Wight views...LP is shocking 

You can also use the visibility of some of the more obvious nebulae as a transparency indicator... even in London you can do quite well.... though not as well as with proper darkness. NV can at least save you needing quite such dark skies and enable observing closer to home.

PEterW

Archived