NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Remote imaging/viewing of unseen southern skies

Although the majority of posters here seem to understandably prefer DIY imaging, do any of you do remote for skies too south for where you live or normally operate from?

I do not take pictures, period. However "seeing" southern skies & objects I might never look at in my life with naked eyes has obvious attractions. 

So hiring scope time to that end to take photos of things & areas is a bucket list idea. The question where, who & what do I do?

7 hours ago, 25585 said:

who & what do I do?

I'm sure you'd find a southern deweller to allow you remote control of their telescope, especially you offered the same for them to view northern skies. A lot of folk here image remotely (I think with no one on the other end). It's easy to setup, anywhere with an internet connection. We use VNC but I've heard good reports of Team Viewer too. Maybe you'd be allowed to ask/offer the service through the classifieds? HTH.

First time you view the southern sky feels so strange and weird. You hardly recognise anything and it takes time to get your barings.  The weirdest thing is there being no pole star.  I have 0nly ever seen their summer southern sky, which is our winter of course. Weird Orion being slightly to the North. 

Would the Night Skies Network be of interest assuming you can catch a broadcast from someone,  a link to a SGL thread, may be helpful.

My lad is in NZ now and a quote from email   "the skies are unbelievable at night when it's clear.... and I hardly recognize anything, which is funny!  the milky way was visible straight away. The large and small magellanic clouds as well. Orion is upside down!"

• 1 month later...
On 02/05/2018 at 16:08, alacant said:

I'm sure you'd find a southern deweller to allow you remote control of their telescope, especially you offered the same for them to view northern skies. A lot of folk here image remotely (I think with no one on the other end). It's easy to setup, anywhere with an internet connection. We use VNC but I've heard good reports of Team Viewer

Interesting idea, I'm located in Australia I'd be interested in discussing a hemiphere imaging swap.   Cheers Russ

Archived