Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Overwhelmed as to what equipment to purchase

I have a budget of around £450. I am looking to get into astrophotography and take pictures of the milkyway and if possible dive into some deep sky photography. Right now I can pick up a Nikon D3100 for around £100 used or that. I was thinking then of getting something like an EQ2 mount or similar. Or would I be better off going with a better camera? I dont know what I should spend my budget on. If someone could give me some advice I would really appreciate it, thanks.

15 minutes ago, AlanP_ said:

I have a budget of around £450. I am looking to get into astrophotography and take pictures of the milkyway and if possible dive into some deep sky photography. Right now I can pick up a Nikon D3100 for around £100 used or that. I was thinking then of getting something like an EQ2 mount or similar. Or would I be better off going with a better camera? I dont know what I should spend my budget on. If someone could give me some advice I would really appreciate it, thanks.

It is true what they say...the mount is often more important that the Telescope ! That said my beginners AP set up consisted of a Canon 1100D, Skywatcher ED80 plus an EQ5 pro mount (which is now up for sale btw!) This set up would have lasted me a long time...if I didnt get aperture fever :)

I would say the absolute minimum mount you require for AP would be an EQ5 pro...even better if you can find a HEQ5.

I've attached a couple of pics what I was able to achieve with an EQ5 pro, ED80 and unmodified canon 1100d ...all from light polluted birmingham :)

Orion neb jan18.jpg

pleiades Jan18.jpg

2 minutes ago, spillage said:

Maybe buy this book, it may save you a few pounds. But really the starting point with a mount is the heq5 for deep space stuff.

Definitely +1 for the HEQ5 ...i still love my EQ5 pro for its portability and the results I got with it though :)

I agree. The most important piece is the mount. Without a steady mount that tracks, you are limited to very short subs, like 10 seconds. 
I asked the same question at Christmas and was given this advice. I took it, saved up an bought a HEQ5. Best thing I ever did in this hobby to date as I'm now taking 5 minute subs (and even have a photo or two to show for it!) 

Everything else can be upgraded later, scopes, cameras, hubs, etc. Do it right with the mount or you're wasting your money with the other equipment.

Welcome to SGL by the way. :thumbsup:
Pete. 

6 minutes ago, spillage said:

Maybe buy this book, it may save you a few pounds. But really the starting point with a mount is the heq5 for deep space stuff.

9 minutes ago, StaceStar said:

It is true what they say...the mount is often more important that the Telescope ! That said my beginners AP set up consisted of a Canon 1100D, Skywatcher ED80 plus an EQ5 pro mount (which is now up for sale btw!) This set up would have lasted me a long time...if I didnt get aperture fever :)

I would say the absolute minimum mount you require for AP would be an EQ5 pro...even better if you can find a HEQ5.

I've attached a couple of pics what I was able to achieve with an EQ5 pro, ED80 and unmodified canon 1100d ...all from light polluted birmingham :)

Orion neb jan18.jpg

pleiades Jan18.jpg

They seem out of my budget unfortunately. I there no cheaper one that does a decent job like the EQ2?

Just now, AlanP_ said:

They seem out of my budget unfortunately. I there no cheaper one that does a decent job like the EQ2?

An EQ2 just wont be up to the job i'm afraid. You need the accuracy for AP. Even an EQ5 pro is on the limit :)

Take a look at the second hand market. They come up fairly often both here and on astro buy sell. I think if you buy a new mount like the eq3 you will just end up loosing money in the very near future when you realize its just not up to your expectations and sell it to fund a better one.

To be perfectly honest though, if you have a camera that you can set to RAW, a remote timer and a sturdy tripod...then you're good to go with wide field shots. You could do this whilst saving up for a decent mount. 

I've attached a pic of a very basic set up and what you might be able to achieve as well :) 

6 minutes ago, AlanP_ said:

basic set up.jpg

ursa major.jpg

I have an EQ2. Manual guiding is no mean feat (read: nigh on impossible!) and no fun either. When you see the end result it's a little disheartening to say the least. 
Keep an eye on the for sale section here. I saw an HEQ5 up for about £400 not too long ago. 

I'm sure someone has mentioned it already however, I'll repeat. Buy a book called 'Making Every Photon Count' - it will walk you step by step into AP. Explaining what you need and why you need it. £20 today will save you hundreds tomorrow. :thumbsup:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Hi. I was going to post a lengthy reply but tbh, you really should buy Making Every Photon Count first. It's the astrophotographers Book of Genesis and has everything you need to know when starting out. I'm halfway through it myself.

In the short term though, you should consider looking for an astro modified Canon DSLR as opposed to a Nikon. There is one for sale in the sales section now, a 450d and these are proven successful.

1 hour ago, AlanP_ said:

I am looking to get into astrophotography and take pictures of the milkyway and if possible dive into some deep sky photography.

Your budget will  make it difficult to get into 'close in' deep sky astrophotography but for the Milky Way and other widefield objects like the excellent image of Ursa Major above, a good tripod will set you on your way BUT to capture some great detail in the Milky Way, you need to take some long exposures which means a tracking mount. Forget the EQ2, it really isn't what you want. However, long exposure widefield images are well within your reach with your proposed second hand DSLR camera, a wide angle lens and the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Astronomy Bundle.

I wish you good luck with your imaging.

12 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

In the short term though, you should consider looking for an astro modified Canon DSLR as opposed to a Nikon. There is one for sale in the sales section now, a 450d and these are proven successful.

To save even more, go to one of the last pages. 7 I think. There is a 300D for £50 + £10 delivery. Bargain for a tight budget. 

Pete.

Archived