NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

where do i start???

Hi All

I've really got the bug for astronomy recently.

Having taken my kids to Jodrell Bank the other month, my youngest son asked for (amongst other things) a telescope for his 8th birthday. Now having read an article by Patrick Moore some time ago, i remembered him saying something along the lines of anything less than a 3" lens will be pretty useless. Nevertheless a trip to Toys 'r' us and we bought him a £20 telescope. Yeah, it's pretty much useless!!

Anyway, the point is, its got all the family really interested in astronomy which is why i've joined the forum.

I really am a novice and the worst thing i could do is jump in with both feet without any research, tips, or help.

Luckily for me i only have a budget of £100-150, so would welcome any recommendations. eg what else other than the scope will i need to budget for? , which scopes can you use to take photo's, what book for a beginner would be best? there really are too many questions to take in and my brain is in overload at the minute! I wont be buying anything until the earliest mid November so ive got plenty of time to read up, and already this forum looks to be a great place to start!

Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated, thanks.

The books an easy one...

"Turn Left at Orion"...

Photography ... The best place to start is probably afocal photography using a digital comapct or camera phone held to the eyepiece to take picture of the moon...

If you havent already done so download a copy of Stellarium http://www.stellarium.cn/ and use it to start finding your way around the night sky...

Billy...

Hello and welcome to the forum,

may i point out this is a :newb: mistake, this thread will probably get posts by the hundreds, all suggesting different things,

i think that it is key that you try to get a look through different types of telescope first before you make up your mind.

there are many telescopes out there that are aimed at beginners should come with all the things you should need to get started. One example would be a Skywatcher Star Travel 80mm, i have a use this scope, you can take pictures through it though you will need an adapter for that or you can just look though it even if it is on a simple camera tripod.

Your free time is going to disappear though and that time that you thought you had before you were going to buy might pass quicker than you think.

try deciding on what you want to do with the telescopes first i.e. what do you want to see/image

hope this helps

ally

Hi

As a newbie myself, I can vouch that people round here are very helpful. I'm sure you'll get some great tips from the experts!

As far as the books are concerned, 'Turn Left at Orion' is the main book recommended by most people. But for your 8 year old, you might also like something with lots of photos. 'Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide', (Dorling Kindersley Publishers) is a very beautiful, glossy book that I'm sure would entrance many a small boy/girl or larger one! :) I picked one up at Amazon. There's also 'Starfinder' by DK publishing - you get a nice box with a planisphere, info cards and a miny red torch.

hth

Sue

"Curious Yellow" A warm welcome to Stargazers Lounge Astronomy Forum!

Yes, good advice from Billy there. "Turn Left at Orion" is a good introduction to helping you find your way around the night sky.

However, before you buy your first "decent" telescope - do you own a pair of binoculars?

If you don't, a pair of binoculars can be an excellent way to begin looking at the marvels of the night skies.

A pair of 7x50's or 8x40's or even 10x50's are all good sizes to view the Moon, stars and one or two "deep sky" objects (once you get to know where to look!). A decent pair of 10x50's will show you the Planet Jupiter as a tiny disc - indeed if conditions are clear, you may even pick out the four largest moons as tiny pinpricks of light strung out in a line either side of the planet.

There is a good book called "Stargazing With Binoculars" by Phillips

9142_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

(I think you can pick it up in the likes of "Smiths" bookshops for about £7.99p).

If you are buying a pair of binoculars, do try and visit a shop which sells decent ones (You can get some good instruments in Jessops though). The most important thing is to be able to test them by looking through them. Binoculars have not only got to give you good, clear and crisp views (as near to the edge of the field of view you can see through them) as well as "feel" comfortable to use. (You will know when a particular pair of binoculars feels comfortable).

I'm sure you will receive plenty of further help and advice on Stargazers.

Best wishes,

philsail1

If you really want a scope which will enable you to grow but not exceed your budget then the Skywatcher 130pm will be perfect.

Lots of us on here started with them and they retail for around £150.00. They come with a motor so you can track the stars (not the same as find the stars for you, i.e. GOTO) which will enable you to keep an object in view for a considerable period of time.

The scope is on a sturdy mount (not the biggest or the best but certainly enough) and has a 5" diametre which will allow you to see the planets, the rings of Saturn, the moon's surface detail and DSO's (Deep sky objects, i.e. anything beyond the solar system) such as clusters of stars, galaxies and nebula.

Now is also a good time to get into the hobby as we have dark skies early so your kids can join in before they go to bed.

You will receive lots of advice on the type of scope to get and it is a minefield but I say get something which will last (I still have mine) but will not break the bank either.

This scope will also allow you to start out at astrophotography but this is very tricky (not because of the scope though) so your best to get the scope, learn the stars and then see what interests you.

Have fun.

Brilliant! thanks for the swift replies. I own a pair of 10 x 50's from my planespotting days (can't believe i admitted to that! :) ),

So i think to start with it's use the 'bins', get the book and read it, read it again, know whats out there and then go for the scope.

Astrophotography is definately where i want to end up, but looking at the prices for camera's, thats something that will be way off for now! (even a second hand DSLR is out of my budget!). lets just hope for some clear skies!!

CY thats exactly what i would do if I was you.

Book - Bins - read and learn.

Then once you have learned your way around invest in a quality scope on an Eq mount so you can dabble in photography.

But be warned, It's not cheap this astrophotography lark.

If you really want a scope which will enable you to grow but not exceed your budget then the Skywatcher 130pm will be perfect.

Lots of us on here started with them and they retail for around £150.00. They come with a motor so you can track the stars (not the same as find the stars for you, i.e. GOTO) which will enable you to keep an object in view for a considerable period of time.

The scope is on a sturdy mount (not the biggest or the best but certainly enough) and has a 5" diametre which will allow you to see the planets, the rings of Saturn, the moon's surface detail and DSO's (Deep sky objects, i.e. anything beyond the solar system) such as clusters of stars, galaxies and nebula.

Now is also a good time to get into the hobby as we have dark skies early so your kids can join in before they go to bed.

You will receive lots of advice on the type of scope to get and it is a minefield but I say get something which will last (I still have mine) but will not break the bank either.

This scope will also allow you to start out at astrophotography but this is very tricky (not because of the scope though) so your best to get the scope, learn the stars and then see what interests you.

Have fun.

Just a word of warning, if you live in a light polluted area you will be lucky if you can see any galaxy other than Andromeda. I couldn't with my 130PM.

If you're on a tight budget (and most of us are!) don't forget your local library. Most libraries have pretty excellent astronomy sections and are free to join/use (as long as you get the ooks back before the due date!). You can even renew your books on-line.

It's a lot cheaper than buying books. You can then pick out the ones that are of most use/interest and buy them if you like.

Having said that, 'Turn Left...' is essential. You *MUST* buy a copy of tha, at least!

Finally, 130pm is an excellent beginners scope. I used to have one and used it on the outskirts of S London and saw loads with it. Rue the day I traded it in. :crybaby:

Hello 'Curious Yellow', welcome to the lounge.

All good advice has been given so far, the best bet is to try some scopes out first before you commit to something....a good pair of binoculars are great for star clusters and lunar studies.

Astrophotography is, as has been said, a long and (possibly) expensive hobby. And as you have children (I don't want to sound rude here) then the enjoyment they get from it may not last overly long, todays mobile phone is tomorrows iPod etc.

The latest version of Stellarium is good (the previous ones were a little shoddy imo), there are other programs out there, Voyager 4 is good for detail and information. As is the book Stars & Planets by Ian Ridpath, if your wanting something for your kids then Dorling Kindersley's 'Universe' (not the Kaufmann version!!) and Cosmos are also good.

Happy hunting

Hello CY.

Click on the First Light Optics link at the top of the page and select telescopes/browse all. Here you will see most makes of scope offered to the astronomer. Take a look at the main difference between a refractor and a newtonian. You will see that to view through a newtonian if you are a small wee lad, that you might have to stand high on some sort of step. Not really practical for a child in my eyes. A good start would be something like one of the Startravellers that are offered. A present I would happily purchase for my 8yr old daughter. And would also be a great introduction to basic astrophotography.

All the best

Rigel

Have fun.

Just a word of warning, if you live in a light polluted area you will be lucky if you can see any galaxy other than Andromeda. I couldn't with my 130PM.

But surely this is true of any telescope in a light polluted area and bigger than this size and the price will exceed the budget of £150.00.

I think the 130 is a good trade off between price/size/weight etc.

Joined the local library last night and took out half a dozen books including the "stargazing with binoculars" but unfortunately they didn't have "Turn left..." :) .

Spent all night reading them, and know much, much more.

I fear the credit card may be about to take a large 'hit' imminently!! :undecided:

Good luck with the books. Robin Scagells book is excellent (and I'm not just saying that because I know him!) I think a star map or book, a pair of binoculars and red torch are a good a starting point as any.

As others have said, choosing a telescope is not easy, even for seasoned astronomers but the Skywatcher 130M is a good scope. Just don't let any of the technology get in the way of viewing. The equipment mechanics can sometimes be off-putting. I have heard of people rushing out and buying something with all the bells and whistles and ending up frustrated and unable to view anything.

Don't forget that what you see through any scope won't match the Hubble pictures but there is nothing like seeing things for yourself. For example, the Moon looks great in almost any telescope. Your first view of Saturn is something to treasure.

Above all, enjoy looking and make sure you wrap up warm!

Geoff

However, before you buy your first "decent" telescope - do you own a pair of binoculars?

If you don't, a pair of binoculars can be an excellent way to begin looking at the marvels of the night skies.

Hi Curious Yellow, I just wanted to re-iterate what Phil suggested as binoculars are an excellent way to get started. Myself and many other SGL'ers started this way and it's probably the easiest introduction to stargazing.

My recommendation is to buy a sturdy tripod and a mounting bracket for your bins, that way you can share what you see with the whole family. It can be quite hard to find things only to loose them the moment you remove the bins from your eyes, so holding them in place will make it easier.

As a beginner I wrote a piece about binoculars vs telescopes just to give an idea of what the differences were (before I forgot), so that might be of interest to you.

FLO currently produce a heavy tripod suitable for binoculars costing £75. That would leave you with change in your pocket and if you really did enjoy astronomy then it could be put towards a small telescope in the future.

But, of course, that's just the approach I would take. Whatever you do you'll get to see some amazing stuff and learn a lot.

Mark

Hello, I am a newby here too but everyone was very helpfull to me so I will try and be helpfull to whoever I can also.

You mentioned your son was 8, two of my daughters are 8 and 12 and by far the best book we found for them was (and in fact I like it alot aswell) "The Usborne internet-linked book of astronomy & space."

We haven't even used the internet linked bits yet and it is still a great book, it has good binocular sights in it, star charts, explains about the different things is space, everything really, I highly recommened it for children and if I am completly honest I have learn't things from it too that I didn't know.

Anyway I can't advise about scopes or anything else but I hope that helps.

Sax

Hi Curious Yellow, I just wanted to re-iterate what Phil suggested as binoculars are an excellent way to get started. Myself and many other SGL'ers started this way and it's probably the easiest introduction to stargazing.

My recommendation is to buy a sturdy tripod and a mounting bracket for your bins, that way you can share what you see with the whole family. It can be quite hard to find things only to loose them the moment you remove the bins from your eyes, so holding them in place will make it easier.

As a beginner I wrote a piece about binoculars vs telescopes just to give an idea of what the differences were (before I forgot), so that might be of interest to you.

FLO currently produce a heavy tripod suitable for binoculars costing £75. That would leave you with change in your pocket and if you really did enjoy astronomy then it could be put towards a small telescope in the future.

But, of course, that's just the approach I would take. Whatever you do you'll get to see some amazing stuff and learn a lot.

Mark

We have a couple of these tripods for bins. They are excellent as they wind up high so even a 6 footer is able to look up at the sky overhead without crouching down. At the other end of the scale they are ideal for an 8 year old as they have three leg extension sections plus a wind up top and a centre steadier piece (which hinges up to close and down to set up and can bite your fingers at the hinge. The only problem is that the tripod costs more than the bins in our case!

Archived