Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW Star Adventurer Firmware

Hi everyone! Help required please!

I've purchased a Star Adventurer (new green & white model Astrophoto kit) & I want to upgrade the Firmware to the Advanced version? I've updated the Prolific driver so the PC recognises it. I've trawled all the Sky Watcher website & the net but I can't find a link to the software required to a) Check the Firmware version &  b ) upgrade the Firmware?

I've emailed SkyWatcher but had no reply. I would have thought they would have put the software on the same page as the Firmware patch but I can't find it !!!

Anybody shed some light on it please??

Cheers!!  B)

Hi guys. I've got the firmware patch but how do I load it onto the mount? Am I missing something obvious? The dial is the standard one and in the advanced instruction manual there's a print out for the new dial. I would've thought there would be a loader programme like for upgrading a synscan handset? 

5 minutes ago, krobbo said:

Hi guys. I've got the firmware patch but how do I load it onto the mount? Am I missing something obvious? The dial is the standard one and in the advanced instruction manual there's a print out for the new dial. I would've thought there would be a loader programme like for upgrading a synscan handset? 

Hi,

It's a bit hidden, but what you need is the "Motor controller firmware loader" that you'll find in this page:

http://ca.skywatcher.com/download/firmware/motor-control-firmware/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody for all your help! I've found the loader works great. Will upload to advanced & back to basic firmware which I'll start off with to get used to the SA which will be in approximately 2020 the way these bloomin skies are going !!! :clouds1:

• 1 year later...

This is driving me nuts.

I want to use Star Adventurer long exposure astro timelapse; this is why I bought the mount.   I have already had unhappy email discussion with SW because the firmware upgrade cannot be done via OSX, so now I have acquired a Windows box as well.

I have found and downloaded the firmware upgrade here  https://storage.googleapis.com/skywatcher-canada/skywatcher-canada/2017/04/26/50f6813df63ea1cc41e5825de34fb4a08ad4592b.zip

I have found the loader proposed by GULinux above http://ca.skywatcher.com/download/firmware/motor-control-firmware/   but the link returns 404, so no good

I have found  a Motor Control Firmware Loader  dated 11/7/2018 and associated manual dated 8/16/2013, but this wants a SynScan and EQ Mount, at https://www.skywatcherusa.com/pages/support-center 

So, in summary I have no clue and have little faith....  I can reopen emails with SW again but ....not optimistic

Can you guys put me on the right path at all ???

Edited by galactique

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone,

Hopefully the following is helpful.  It took me many, many searches to find this, but here it is.  I haven't tried it yet with my 4+ year old Star Adventurer, so I cannot make a claim that it's the "correct" software.

The Motor Controller Firmware Loader (version 1.64) for the original Star Adventurer can be downloaded from https://www.opticalvision.de/service/downloads/

This site seems to have lots of useful SW software.  Just keep scrolling down until you see "STAR ADVENTURER MOTOR CONTROLLER FIRMWARE LOADER V1.64" - look for this:

MCFL.JPG.42b99d97b07422d61b1c4cf64f0bb09b.JPG

I downloaded the file, unzipped it, scanned it - no viruses, spyware, or any other threats were found.

Good luck!

UPDATE --- April 20, 2020 --- AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, THESE ARE THE LATEST APPLICATION & FIRMWARE VERSIONS, EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE A COUPLE OF YEARS OLD --- I downloaded the "latest" MC Firmware version 3.6.07 from SkyWatcher's site,  ran the Motor Controller Firmware Loader version 1.64, and was able to successfully install the firmware update to my Star Adventurer.  Went very smoothly, and without a hitch!

Edited by ABELL2065
Information Update

can you advise me please ... i have downloaded the latest firmware motor controller (ver 1.74)and the updated firmware ( not the Advanced Firmware) .. the thing is i check the auto detect com port but there is another checked square referencing a synscan hand controller ... when i leave it checked the firmware takes about 3 minutes to upload ... whereas when i uncheck it the firmware is done in about 20 seconds . What is right and what is wrong ?

7 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

can you advise me please ... i have downloaded the latest firmware motor controller (ver 1.74)and the updated firmware ( not the Advanced Firmware) .. the thing is i check the auto detect com port but there is another checked square referencing a synscan hand controller ... when i leave it checked the firmware takes about 3 minutes to upload ... whereas when i uncheck it the firmware is done in about 20 seconds . What is right and what is wrong ?

oops ... in answer to my own question i have downloaded the wrong firmware zzz ... i have now found the correct firmware and , well basically i am back to where i started . hopefully everything is ok . Message to self ... dont be too hasty !!!!