NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

iPhone Moon 31-03-18

johnfosteruk

I've impressed myself here. Or rather the gadgets have impressed me.

I've used an iPhone app called Procam for afocal captures before but with the iPhone X having a 'zoom' lens and the app having pretty good manual controls, and a pseudo image stabilisation function when you use digital zoom I thought I'd have a go at the Full(ish) Moon with the phone for fun. No telescope involved.

Here's the result. Captured at ISO 15, 1/350s, manual focus with focus peaking to assist. Handheld resting on the garden wall for support. Then a little sharpening in Photoshop Express on the phone.

5ac0085f61929_iPhonemoon31-03-18.jpg.c541f543bac97bae868e7cbba943927f.jpg

i thought it was through a scope but also wondered why so small, now that you say it was straight phone only i'm impressed doubly, not easy capturing detail let alone holding it steady enough to get a shot!.

• 3 weeks later...

I was working late tonight and had no chance of getting home and setup before the crescent moon set. So I thought I'd have another go with the iPhone camera.

At 7 magnitudes dimmer than the Moon in the OP, I wasn't expecting much but it's not bad. Definitely the moon! :) You can even see Maria.

IMG_0492.thumb.jpg.f918d29473750c8afd22766382c8f11b.jpg

Archived