Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3x barlow

solo

The reason I'm asking is that I'm struggling with the eye relief with my 7.5mm and 12.5mm ultima plossls. I was thinking of replacing them with wide angle LER eyepieces or getting a 3x barlow to use with my other eyepieces instead. 

x3 is more often useful for imaging rather than visual.

Do you wear glasses to observe? I would think getting some eyepieces with better eye relief would be a preferred option.

Something to bear in mind is that if eye relief is pushed back too far the view can be vignetted by the edge of the last lens element.

If you're looking for long eye relief, I strongly advise the Vixen SLV range. My 10mm (20mm eye relief!) has been very adequate at compensating for my glasses. Perfect? No, visual astronomy never will be with glasses on. But it's as good as I've ever gotten it, and the eyepiece is exceptional for those without glasses as well.

I have had a 3x barlow for over 20 years and have used it maybe twice.  I much prefer 2x barlows.

Just pick up some short focal length BST Starguiders in 12mm, 8mm, and 5mm focal lengths and you'll thank yourself for going that route.  Plus, FLO offers a 10% discount for buying 2 to 3 at the same time.  15% for 4 to 6, and 20% for 7 or more.

If you need even more eye relief and are willing to risk your eyeglasses, the eyeguard pops off.

Archived