ASI120MC Attachment

So ive finally got a new laptop to read camera, now my newbie levels increase as I can't figure out how to mount a magnification eyepiece and the camera at the same time. 

I got the camera second hand in the post but I'm looking for help on how to get the camera looking through the right attachments. 

Here is what I have (pics attached). Tried youtube videos but they aren't as specific as I require.

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

Thanks I'll look into that. I thought you used the camera to look through the different eyepieces? Surely you need different magnifications? I'm trying to show my disabled wife what I can see through the scope so i assumed I could just bolt the cam onto whatever I'm looking at.

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

screw the nosepiece (#4 in the lineup) into the camera (remove lens first) and plug it into the eyepiece holder

I don't think that will do it as the OP has a 2" focuser...

Remove the lens from the camera. Screw the camera into item 6 and then the item6/camera assembly into the focuser. If you do not have enough outward travel, fix aforementioned assembly into item 7 and thence into the focuser. Assuming 5+6 -the normal sw eyepiece route- doesn't reach focus (?)

HTH

How do you attach your 1.25” eyepieces to the telescope?

I can’t see the usual 2” to 1.25” adaptor in your lineup.

As mentioned. You have the wide angle lense on the camera at the moment. That unscrews to make way for the 1.25” nosepiece (just like on the eyepieces). You should get some nice moon shots to share with your wife.

Paul

36 minutes ago, Spacedonkey1976 said:

Thanks I'll look into that. I thought you used the camera to look through the different eyepieces? Surely you need different magnifications? I'm trying to show my disabled wife what I can see through the scope so i assumed I could just bolt the cam onto whatever I'm looking at.

There is a process called "eyepiece projection" that can greatly increase the magnification, but it brings with it some additional difficulties, like much more delicate focusing. Better to start with just using the camera plugged into the scope.

The ASI120MC has a 2" diameter portion on its body. That is worth bearing in mind if you have trouble getting focus. It will fit directly into a 2" focuser barrel.

On my 203mm Newtonian, the ASI120MC camera is in focus with the R&P focuser and the helical focuser accessory right on the inward stops. I could do what I suggest above or replace the helical focuser with the original plain adaptor, but then I'd lose the fine focus adjustment.

Be prepared for your field of view to be rather small. The camera sensor size equates to something like a 4mm eyepiece.

If you unscrew 'A'  from the camera you can replace it with 'B' which will fit straight in the scope. If you can't reach focus fit B in C and fit c in the scope.

To get more magnification, screw the barlow E into the camera and fit that into the adaptor used to fit eyepieces to the scope.

image.thumb.png.a787d79fd0025fd98fb3670dd88daa1d.png

Archived