Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Android on a laptop(x86) ?

SilverAstro

@AngryDonkey  were you able to connect via BT or Wifi when using this Blue Stacks?

I have installed BlueStacks on my Win10 PC some months ago, the inial idea was to have SkySafari on PC (large screen :headbang:) and to control the mount via BT (I have a Skywatcher AZEQ5 on which I have a BT module added and normally I control the mount by tablet/phone with SkySafari...on BlueTooth).

But BlueStacks do not allow BT connections, therefore I couldn't connect to the mount so I quite that project.

The simpler answer may be to ask around if anyone has an 'old' smartphone/tablet from which they have upgraded?

Use without a SIM.  The small screens are OK with practise.  I am very, very short sighted and manage to star hop using Sky Safari on an average sized Samsung A3 (also with a free screen filter app)

Good luck, Paul.

If you have a CD drive in your Laptop then you can use a live cd of Android from here load up the software to try it out - only works once else you have to load the software (Skyportal) again - http://www.android-x86.org/download. It will also give you an option to install into a spare partition on your laptop and run from there as a dual boot (depends on Windows version and Bios/efs).  But not for the faint hearted !!!!!!

You could also put the OS into the VM as suggested above.

Android TV box's work well for most Android App's(£30+) and you can connect keyboards/mice and your 60inch TV (if it has an HDMI port):laugh2: - but it depends how well Skyportal works with non touch screens.

Buy a cheap 7inch Android tablet for £50 new

or just look for a second hand(refurbished) Android phone/Tablet - just watch the Android version number - make sure it works with Skyportal

For Skywatcher Wifi you can use Windows anyway - just use Synscan App pro for windows plus Ascom - works with Vista upwards

Archived