NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M51 single nighter, TEC140.

ollypenrice

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Olly, 

Its not the huge jumps in RA that were originally reported and I have updated the software,  but it does need some more investigation. I don’t think the subs were affected but I’m currently imaging on a more forgiving scale.

Anyway, that’s off topic, your M51 result is precisely what we will be trying to emulate when the Esprit 150 is up and running.

7 minutes ago, tomato said:

Thanks Olly, 

Its not the huge jumps in RA that were originally reported and I have updated the software,  but it does need some more investigation. I don’t think the subs were affected but I’m currently imaging on a more forgiving scale.

Anyway, that’s off topic, your M51 result is precisely what we will be trying to emulate when the Esprit 150 is up and running.

What can be achieved by avoiding exasperating reflectors and replacing them with reliable small pixel cameras and refractors is a very topical subject! Best of luck. I think you're on the right track.

Olly

57 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

What can be achieved by avoiding exasperating reflectors and replacing them with reliable small pixel cameras and refractors is a very topical subject! Best of luck. I think you're on the right track.

Olly

Oh no what have i done.:icon_eek:

I'll break with the norm and throw in a little CC--I find that allot of data with M51 results in a brightness, with low contrast.  The difference between the dark depths between the spiral arms and the brightness of the star forming ridges is what I am pointing out.  (hint: a touch of curves).  

I think you have a barlow on the finder?  if that is correct--would you recommend this?  I have delved into the realm of guidecopes and am a bit skeptical of the results I will get.  Can't argue with the results you get though.  

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

I'll break with the norm and throw in a little CC--I find that allot of data with M51 results in a brightness, with low contrast.  The difference between the dark depths between the spiral arms and the brightness of the star forming ridges is what I am pointing out.  (hint: a touch of curves).  

I think you have a barlow on the finder?  if that is correct--would you recommend this?  I have delved into the realm of guidecopes and am a bit skeptical of the results I will get.  Can't argue with the results you get though.  

Rodd

I know what you mean, Rodd, about the spiral contrast, and had been pondering along the same lines. It doesn't really arise from the amount of data but from the processing. My 14 inch M51 is more contrasty. I was going for a more ethereal look on this one. It's a case of 'have cake and eat it' I think. But I'll have a play.

My guidescopes are just cheapo ST80s working at native FL (400mm) with Lodestar guide cameras. However, I do have very accurate mounts which makes all the difference.

Olly

11 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

My guidescopes are just cheapo ST80s working at native FL (400mm) with Lodestar guide cameras. However, I do have very accurate mounts which makes all the difference.

The reason I ask is it seems like a long extension between the Lodestar and guidescope.  Maybe that is typical--if so, I may need an extension--which was not discussed.  Then again it is hard to tell where the focuser ends in the image (can't enlarge it for some reason). 

Rodd

1 minute ago, Rodd said:

The reason I ask is it seems like a long extension between the Lodestar and guidescope.  Maybe that is typical--if so, I may need an extension--which was not discussed.  Then again it is hard to tell where the focuser ends in the image (can't enlarge it for some reason). 

Rodd

Yes, the ST80 needs an extension for a Lodestar. I use two old barlow bodies, de-lensed and Araldited together.

Here's a contrastier version. I could live with either, really. I mainly felt like a change from my existing 14 inch M51's look.

5ab66d97a38c6_M51TECHaLRGB7HrsFinspiralcontrastweb.thumb.jpg.e8c82aab12de3bdebd76865dcac18c90.jpg

Olly

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Yes, the ST80 needs an extension for a Lodestar. I use two old barlow bodies, de-lensed and Araldited together.

Here's a contrastier version. I could live with either, really. I mainly felt like a change from my existing 14 inch M51's look.

5ab66d97a38c6_M51TECHaLRGB7HrsFinspiralcontrastweb.thumb.jpg.e8c82aab12de3bdebd76865dcac18c90.jpg

Olly

Thanks Olly--looks great!

Rodd

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

You need an extension to reach focus with ST80 / Loadstar combo but you shouldn't need it with an OAG.

Dave

I will use the Astro physics vario finder.--May switch to a smaller pixel guide cam.  May have to retry the OAG route if unsatisfied.  So many????

Rodd

24 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I will use the Astro physics vario finder.--May switch to a smaller pixel guide cam.  May have to retry the OAG route if unsatisfied.  So many????

Rodd

No doubt you'll need some sort of T2 extension with the AP finder in straight through mode.

Dave

33 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

No doubt you'll need some sort of T2 extension with the AP finder in straight through mode.

Dave

I just verified that the AP Vario Guider kit comes with a T2 extension.  Whew.  thanks.....back to Olly's masterpiece.

Ro2

Archived