Advice on astrophotography with new telescope and accessories

No, I'm afraid not. The only way the OP could speed up the optics would be to move to a bigger aperture;)

That's contrary to what I have always been told, but since I don't use an SCT, perhaps things may be different on those.

Carole 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, carastro said:

I don't use an SCT, perhaps things may be different on those

Hi. Exactly the same no matter which telescope is used. 

1 hour ago, carastro said:

That's contrary to what I have always been told

It's called the f-ratio myth. The 2 metre telescope at La Palma is f10. That's slower than an ed80 at f7?

HTH

The old 350d is (like me) getting a bit old and may not be fully supported by the latest version of Windows, the cables are a bit yesterday as well. Modern dslr's connect easier and live view or use of some software can make focusing easier.   Something like a TimerRemote for the 350D may be helpful to you, search Amazon or eBay, also diy jobbies can be made if you have the inclination.  Lots of old posts on SGL referring to 350D's may be worth a search.

6 hours ago, carastro said:

That's contrary to what I have always been told, but since I don't use an SCT, perhaps things may be different on those.

Carole 

Nothing to do with SCTs. The F ratio myth is a long story but it is not always true that a fast F ratio speeds up capture. Having been a big advocate of this on SGL I'm reluctant to get involved again but Alacant has linked to a thread, I see. Just Google 'the F ratio myth' and you'll get a good grasp of why F ratio may, or may not, speed up capture. For practical proof check out the very short exposures processed on here by SGL members using data from the slow F ratio Liverpool Telescope. It's a no brainer. Big telescopes get more light and this light cannot and does not just disappear.

Olly

"Perhaps the main challenge you'll face is guiding at such a long focal length".

I've used an Orion 50mm mini guiding scope (with celestron reducer) for guiding my C8 XLT (I don't think i've suffered from Mirror shift, which apparently plagues this class of  non -Edge scope).

I think the resulting images are OK'ish i.e no star trailing, with ideal weather conditions and with a capable mount+ and good PA (I started off using  a OSC camera using 5 min exposures, however my productivity has fallen recently when i switched to a Mono+FW combo simply due to a lack of consistent clear skies). I'm too "Chicken" to try imaging at F10, especially due to UK skies, even though my current mount will support long exposures. The only thing I don't like about the resulting images are are what I perceive as bloated stars (even though focus is spot on; so may be switch to an EDGE; RC or Long FL refractor?).

It's a great all round scope for both planetary and DSO imaging, with appropriate cameras for each application. 

PC387

Archived