Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M37 and getting lost amongst the stars

Swoop1

This evening, after taking my life into my hands yet again when giving the cat her insulin injection, I took a peek outside and lo- there were stars!

I rushed inside again and grabbed the tools and set up. by 10:30 p.m. I was searching around Auriga looking to find some fuzziness. After a little while, I was succesful and settled down to explore what I identifeid via Stelarium as M37. Using averted vision through the 40mm Maxvision on the SW 150P I spent a happy time studying the open cluster and seeing a little more as the minutes passed and my night vision developed. After 15 minutes or so, I decided to relocate my view towards Ursa Major to see if I could find anything around the area of The Plough but was defeated by light pollution. I then decided to cast around Cassiopeia to see what I could see. Before I knew it I was lost in the glorious starfield between Cassiopeia and Perseus. That was it, I was stuck, enjoying another 20 minutes or so just drifting around in this absolutely glorious bit of sky.

My first proper chance this month and well worth it.

52 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

. Using averted vision through the 40mm Maxvision on the SW 150P I spent a happy time studying the open cluster and seeing a little more as the minutes passed and my night vision developed. 

I've been on this site a while now and roughly been star gazing for the past two years..... Averted vision is something I'd never heard of so I googled it, thank you for bringing that to my attention .

nice report

Nathan

Nice report. It’s a great area of the sky, especially if you like open clusters. Auriga is jammed packed with them. It’s one of few times when I fully appreciate the binoculars, just taking in Auriga.

Lucky you it was clear enough, when I looked out it was very small gaps.
The area around Cassiopeia and Perseus does make you grin in the 150p, its somewhere I often look in awe, so fully understand your posting and enjoyment.

As to your risking life with the cat and insulin, we had a diabetic cat on insulin for many years and after 3 years she gave up fighting and just stood and accepted the injections.

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

Lucky you it was clear enough, when I looked out it was very small gaps.
The area around Cassiopeia and Perseus does make you grin in the 150p, its somewhere I often look in awe, so fully understand your posting and enjoyment.

As to your risking life with the cat and insulin, we had a diabetic cat on insulin for many years and after 3 years she gave up fighting and just stood and accepted the injections.

I normally get away with it but every so often, she reminds me who is boss!

Archived